Canada's National Observer
|Vice President of Business and Growth
Location: Toronto (Remote), Ontario
Posted: November 26, 2020
Help shape the future of Canadian media as Vice President of Business and Growth for Canada’s National Observer at Observer Media Group.
For more than a decade, Observer Media Group has led the digital re-invention of Canadian media, driven the national conversation on energy and climate change, and made history as the first all-digital publication to win a National Newspaper Award and a Michener Award citation. And our Election Integrity Reporting Project has placed us at the centre of Canada’s battle against online misinformation and electoral manipulation.
We aim to double revenue over the next 12 months.
We seek a brilliant media professional to drive growth and play a key role in our organization, developing and executing a plan to help Canada's National Observer acquire and retain subscribers, both individual and groups, build successful fundraising campaigns to raise money for enterprise reporting, sell products and sponsorships.
Growing Journalism Revenue
The job includes gathering input from customers and various internal departments, like analytics, operations and marketing, and using this information to establish growth targets and choose key performance indicators. Project management of all aspects of our subscription and fundraising campaigns, from graphic design to messaging, will be at the centre of your job and will require passionate attention to detail and constant engagement with our news platform, social media feeds, communications with readers and analytics.
The VP of Business & Growth will be tasked with business management, and oversight of the user experience, campaign assets and marketing materials, and providing audits of the user flow.
As needed, the Vice President will be in charge of hiring and managing additional members of the growth management team, which will test and implement the growth management plan.
Above all else, the VP's job is to increase revenue for National Observer and to assist in building a strong foundation and growing resources for its outstanding journalism.
About Canada’s National Observer
Canada's National Observer is a leader in digital media. We have a core team of full-time journalists in Ontario and British Columbia and we work with freelancers across Canada. With a focus on climate change, energy, disinformation, and politics, CNO has made history as the first digital-only publication to win a National Newspaper Award in the business reporting category and to receive a Michener Award citation for energy reporting. CNO is owned by Observer Media Group and is a member of The Trust Project.
- Knowledge of how to manage a digital acquisition funnel and user journey to subscriptions, donations & engagement, and the interfacing with a journalistic publication and paywall.
- 7 years+ of experience with business development and/or hiring, ideally in a news media company, but you could also be coming from a mission-driven nonprofit.
- Facility with budgets, eagerness to make and hit ambitious revenue targets, excellent with numbers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, presentation strengths, problem-solving skills, ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team, leadership skills.
- Experience with monetizing journalism, product marketing, business development, digital marketing, online campaigns, social media, communications.
- Experience with Google Analytics, Excel, Mailchimp and social media platforms. If you've worked with Piano or another paywall system, this would be a big plus. Youtube and Kiss Metrics experience another plus.
- You will begin formulating a growth plan and journalism & revenue strategy independently before working with a team to test and execute that plan; you must be able to work both autonomously and as part of a growth management team. You will need leadership skills to be able to effectively manage your team members.
- You will manage financial planning, reporting to the CEO and CFO.
- You will join an expert team and lead the achievement of doubling revenue from subscriptions and fundraising campaigns over 12 months. The current growth team consists of excellent professionals who have been producing the design, communications, user experience, technology, social media & reader engagement that accounts for years of readership and subscriber loyalty.
- When necessary, you will roll up your sleeves and complete tasks yourself, to fill gaps.
- We sponsor a podcast that affords another opportunity for building revenue and meeting targets.
- You are the right person for this job if you are an organized, insightful and tech-savvy professional with significant experience in building revenue, preferably within another media company.
- You’ll find this position particularly fulfilling if you are mission-driven and share the Observer’s commitment to rigorous coverage of climate and social justice issues, combating disinformation, and developing innovative ways of delivering high-quality journalism online.
- Work ethic: You are reliable and detail-oriented; you know how to juggle tasks and priorities as part of a fast-paced organization; you communicate clearly and respectfully with colleagues; and you inspire others with your own commitment. You are flexible and open-minded with a good sense of humour.
- Journalism: You are deeply engaged in journalism & mass media, with a keen eye for editorial and revenue and experienced and knowledge with news and publications; you’re forward-looking with strong interpersonal skills; and you’re knowledgeable on the key issues in Canada today, including climate change, the environment, social issues, national and provincial parties and policies, the energy industry, and the growing problem of disinformation.
- Candidates from Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are preferred but applicants from all parts of Canada will be reviewed.
We will accept applications for this position until filled. We will begin reviewing applications immediately, as we receive them.
This is a permanent, full-time employee position; salary will be commensurate with experience, and will be competitive with comparable roles at other media companies. Bonuses for hitting revenue targets will be set by the Chief Executive Officer and awarded quarterly. Opportunity for advancement in the company after first 18 months.
Three-month probationary period.
To apply, please submit a résumé and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - through our online application portal.
Your cover letter should specifically address:
- Why this role appeals to you
- Your experience and major accomplishments as a professional
- Tell us about the successful campaigns you've managed, how they worked, what the goals were and how they were successful.
- A particular issue area or type of journalistic initiative you would be excited about promoting for Canada’s National Observer.
- Please be advised that we can only contact candidates we wish to interview, but we thank everyone for their interest in working with the team at Observer Media Group.