Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: November 18, 2020
The Tyee is hiring a full-time senior editor to join our award-winning team.
The ideal candidate will have at least two years’ experience editing news and feature writing for a professional publication. They will be quick and confident in their work, understand the basics of editing for libel, have demonstrated ability to build positive working relationships with writers, and show they can write snappy display copy. And they’ll understand The Tyee’s approach to journalism.
The Tyee has been a leading Canadian independent news source for 17 years with a reputation for in-depth reporting that creates change. We’re in a period of growth, and this role will be essential as we continue to add new writers and reporting beats to our roster.
Roles and responsibilities
- Assign and thoroughly edit high-impact articles, working with a roster of staff writers and freelancers
- Collaborate with senior editorial leadership team to brainstorm assignment ideas
- Manage and maintain positive working relationships with writers
- Assist in managing journalism practicum students
- Collaborate with the wider Tyee team on copy for social media and newsletters
- Represent The Tyee at various events when requested
The annual salary range for this position is $60,000 to 65,000, plus benefits. We would prefer the candidate be British Columbia-based, but we’re open to remote working particularly if the candidate has deep knowledge of the issues facing British Columbians.
Further requirements (the right candidate will tick these boxes):
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- At least 2+ years of editing experience (substantive and copy editing, plus reading for libel)
- Thorough knowledge of issues facing British Columbians
- Love of The Tyee and independent media
- Team-oriented and collaborative at heart
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
We will continue our search until we find the right candidate.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Indigenous people, gender non-conforming people, people of colour, and people with a disability. If you’re creative, hard-working and love independent media, we’d love to meet you.
Please submit your cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resume explaining why you are interested in this opportunity to email@example.com. Please put “senior editor” in the subject line.
503-470 Granville Street
Tel: (604) 339-4241
Web address: http://www.thetyee.ca