Prince Albert Daily Herald
Location: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Posted: September 10, 2020
The Prince Albert Daily Herald, Saskatchewan's only independent daily newspaper, has an immediate opening for a reporter/photographer.
Prince Albert is a bustling small city with a strong sense of community and thriving sports and arts scene. We're looking for someone who can hit the ground running and contribute detailed, nuanced reporting to our newspaper and website while taking eye-catching photos that turn heads.
Located on Treaty Six Territory and in the Homeland of the Métis, Prince Albert is a diverse city filled with stories, and we're looking for a person who can dig them up and shed a light on the good and the not-so-good, someone who can get to the heart of life in this city and find stories others have missed.
Reporting to the editor, the successful candidate will be responsible for about two stories a day. Some evening and weekend work is required. The reporter will also be tasked with writing occasional stories for our monthly publication covering northern Saskatchewan, the Northern Advocate. The successful candidate will also assist with the daily layout of our print product and assist with managing our social media accounts.
The ideal candidate has
- a degree or diploma in journalism or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- proficiency in English and CP style
- strong adherence to journalistic ethics
- proven ability to go after the tough stories
- ability to write accurate and fair stories to deadline
- computer skills in a Mac environment
- basic knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign
- current driver's licence with reliable vehicle and cellphone
- knowledge or previous experience covering Indigenous communities is a strong asset.
- comfort reporting on arts-related stories is an asset.
- knowledge of wordpress-based CMS is an asset
This position is ideal for a recent graduate or early-career journalist ready to tackle a wide-range of stories and issues.
The Herald is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank everyone for their interest. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
If this job seems like the right fit for you, please send a resume, cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and some samples of your work to:
Peter Lozinski, Editor
Prince Albert Daily Herald and Northern Advocate