Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: March 11, 2020
Deadline: April 10, 2020
HuffPost Canada seeks a game-changing journalist with a proven track record of powerful investigative work and compelling storytelling. This is a new position with the space and autonomy to shape and create coverage, and have tangible impact in Canada and globally through HuffPost’s distribution network and readership.
You will report and write original stories, help to commission stories with ambition, and generate angles off news developments. You know how to bring features to life with flair, intelligence and imagination. This position also requires the confidence and experience to mentor reporters in a highly collaborative newsroom that punches above its weight.
This is a 12-month contract role, based in Toronto.
- Ideate, report and write original investigative and feature stories that illuminate the “Canadian experience,” challenge the status quo, and ignite change
- Manage multiple short- and longer-term enterprise stories at the same time
- Provide editorial guidance to other reporters
- Collaborate with HuffPost Canada news, lifestyle, video teams on special projects
- 10+ years in journalism
- Proven ability to create impactful journalism
- Excellent writing skills that showcase a well-developed voice
- Exceptional research, organizational skills
- Expert knowledge in Canadian affairs
- Deep commitment to editorial standards and excellence
- Experience working in a digital newsroom environment
- Proficient in Canadian Press style, Canadian media law
- Motivated self-starter
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High degree of emotional intelligence, empathy
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills
- Understanding of mobile-first packaging, social media distribution
- Affinity for HuffPost Canada brand and mandate
At HuffPost Canada, we connect Canadians through smart, empowering, inclusive digital content that reflects their realities. We tell highly relevant stories where diverse lived experiences are normalized. We add trustworthy cultural context and propel conversations that amplify the voices of underrepresented Canadians. We are both fun and serious, and we serve our audience where they are, when they need us.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter that demonstrates your writing style, how well you understand the tone and mission of HuffPost Canada, and why you fit this role. Please state you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.