|Digital Reporter (contract)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: March 5, 2020
The Lawyer’s Daily, published by LexisNexis Canada, is looking for an experienced Digital Reporter to join our legal publishing team in the Toronto office.
This is a one-year maternity leave contract. The deadline is open until we find the right candidate.
With a strong background in daily news coverage, you will pitch, source and write news articles geared to a legal audience. Candidate must be a self-starter comfortable with developing and owning a beat, sourcing stories and writing accurately to tight deadlines.
The Digital Reporter will participate in all aspects of the website’s daily content, including:
- Research, pitch and write stories about the Canadian legal industry
- Verify news and other copy for accuracy
- Arrange and conduct interviews
- Write breaking and daily news items as well as more in-depth feature news articles, as needed
- Write headlines and copy for other sections of the publication as needed
- Find and nurture new sources
- Experience writing about the Canadian legal industry
- Five years’ experience working full time in an editorial capacity in a media organization or as a successful freelance writer
- Excellent reporting and writing skills, with a creative approach to story ideas, headlines and copy and a sharp eye for grammar and proofreading
- Degree in journalism
- Proven sound editorial judgment
- Demonstrated ability to originate coverage on developing news stories and features
- Excellent communication skills, highly organized and self-motivated
- Able to handle multiple stories and maintain creativity in a tight, deadline-oriented environment
- Previous newsroom experience is an asset
- Working knowledge of (and experience in using) social media is an asset
- Experience in using content management systems is an asset
- Sound knowledge of Canadian Press style
- An excellent command of the English language
- Photography and photo editing skills are also an asset
- Own transport would be beneficial
This is a full-time position based in our office in Toronto (located at 404/Finch). Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Please apply online here.
We thank all applicants, however only candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
LexisNexis Canada Inc. is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
Suite 900, 111 Gordon Baker Road
Tel: (905) 415-5889