Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posted: February 26, 2020
Salary: not stated
Metroland Media is a dynamic media company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, and provide local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland. Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by more than 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com
The Brampton Guardian and Mississauga News are looking for an energetic and keen reporter who is skilled in storytelling for both digital and print platforms. The successful journalist will make connections with and provide coverage on a wide range of topics of relevance to the Brampton and Mississauga communities.
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to generate fresh and interesting local news and feature stories.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms – print, website and social media.
- Explore alternative story forms, online and in print, for maximized reader engagement.
- Post content to website and social media on daily basis.
- Must be well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or in a related field.
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative, driven journalist with the ability to write clean copy, take photos and shoot video.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Experience with diverse range of content, including municipal affairs reporting.
- Competent in social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's licence.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply online here
, stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.