Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Posted: February 11, 2020
Deadline: February 27, 2020
Salary: not stated
Brunswick News is seeking applicants for the role of Content Manager at the Telegraph-Journal in Saint John. As a Content Manager you will assign, edit and publish the news online, while continuing a tradition of excellence in print.
Content Managers at Brunswick News work in a team that edits, publishes and promotes the work of reporters covering news in the city, province and beyond, with the objective of meeting targets for readership, engagement and other measures. Those duties may include:
- Working with reporters to improve story ideas and reporting; formulating assignments based on breaking news or enterprise reporting; planning photography, videography, graphics etc.; monitoring outside news sources for breaking news and developments; fielding newsroom calls, visits and emails; and communicating with other Brunswick News content editors.
- Handling files from reporters ranging from breaking news bulletins to long features and multimedia; vetting copy for legal issues; checking crucial or questionable facts; editing for structure and narrative; copy editing for grammar, spelling and style, writing or improving headlines.
- Using BNI’s content management system to format story files for publication online and in print, promoting stories to subscribers via news alerts and digests; promoting content via social media; tracking stories using Domo, Facebook analytics and other tools, and incorporating data into live decisions.
- University or college-level studies in journalism or a related education.
- Previous newsroom experience is preferred.
- Highly developed organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Ability to generate engaging and relevant story ideas.
- Experience in story editing, from substantive work to copy-editing.
- Knowledge of Canadian Press style.
- An understanding of media law.
Brunswick News is Atlantic Canada’s most dynamic media group, providing a comprehensive package of live news and information to readers throughout New Brunswick. Our network of media outlets include TelegraphJournal.com, New Brunswick's three daily newspapers, more than a dozen smaller-market newspapers, flyer distribution services, and an online recruitment site.
Brunswick News is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
If you are interested in applying for this career opportunity, please send a copy of your resume, including a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.