Location: Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Posted: February 8, 2020
The Mountaineer weekly newspaper is looking for an energetic community-minded reporter with a passion for writing accurate and engaging stories to join our news team.
We are an award-winning newspaper based in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, that covers a population of about 20,000 people.
The reporter will be responsible for all Town of Rocky news, including regular council meetings. This may include Village of Caroline news. There are also a variety of community groups to cover.
Rocky Mountain House and Clearwater keep our newsroom busy. Other regular topics can include agriculture news, outdoor life, school news, court, town council, sports, entertainment and provincial politics. Opinion columns may be required from time to time.
We pride ourselves on publishing a comprehensive newspaper every week, including breaking news, in-depth stories and human interest features.
Reporters who demonstrate positive attitude and competence will find opportunity to expand their writing skills and pursue other stories. Strong photography skills are an asset. Reporters take their own photos to accompany their work.
The newspaper pays mileage for business kms.
- All Mountaineer reporters must have an accredited journalism diploma or equivalent, and are expected to follow all CP style conventions.
- Reporters are entitled to two weeks of paid vacation after one full year of employment, with specifics authorized by the editor or publisher.
- Unpaid days or time in lieu can be arranged.
- Reporters are expected to look professional at work and on all work assignments and behave in a polite, respectful manner and adhere to journalism ethics and the our Code of Practice.
- The Mountaineer is a recipient of multiple awards in the Better Newspapers Competitions - provincially and nationally.
The Mountaineer thanks all those who apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants may send their resumes, cover letters (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) and work samples to:
Glen Mazza, publisher
4814 - 49 St.
Rocky Mountain House
Tel: (403) 845-3334