Postmedia Network Inc.
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posted: February 7, 2020
Deadline: February 21, 2020
The Winnipeg Sun is seeking an experienced political journalist. This role provides the opportunity to experiment to find new ways to tell stories and engage readers, filing stories on multiple platforms.
Postmedia is the largest publisher by circulation of paid English-language daily newspapers in Canada, representing some of the country’s oldest and best known media brands. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams are bringing engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it. This exceptional content, reach and scope offer advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences.
At Postmedia, we value open communication between our employees and managers. Our mission is to ensure that our employees have the abilities and aspirations to meet business requirements in alignment with our company values. To support the continuous growth of our Postmedia expansion, we are always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our fast growing team!
What you’ll do:
- Reporting, writing and editing stories for print, Web and mobile audiences – as well as tailoring content to meet the varying needs of those platforms.
- Initiating and developing ideas for enterprise stories and investigative projects.
- Cultivating sources and establishing expertise in order to break stories and set the news agenda.
- Filing video clips for digital platforms; working with digital teams to create interactive maps and graphics, searchable databases, and other multimedia elements.
- You have excellent news judgment.
- Demonstrable strengths in accurate, clean reporting.
- Proven ability to initiate stories and enterprise features.
- Excellent reporting and writing skills.
- Experience at a news organization in a deadline-oriented reporting/writing role.
- Familiar with data journalism and investigative reporting.
- Familiar with emerging digital trends and opportunities.
- Able to shoot video with a mobile device.
- You know how to leverage social media and digital platforms to break news and reach audiences.
- Ability to work quickly and independently, meet multiple deadlines, and make efficient decisions.
- An understanding of local politics.
Any employee, who believes that he/she is qualified, and who has an interest in this career opportunity, should inform his/her Manager of such interest. Internal applicants must include in the subject line of their application “Internal Applicant.”
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Should you be interested in this opportunity please forward a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), resume and writing examples to:
Postmedia Network Inc.