The Toronto Star
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: February 6, 2020
Role: Business Reporter
Department: Toronto Star Editorial
The Toronto Star has 1 vacancy in the Journalist classification in the Editorial Department. Journalists can be assigned to any newsroom department across a variety of assignments and locations. The initial assignment for the successful candidate will be as a business reporter.
Toronto Star Journalists must be able to report and write authoritatively on breaking news, as well as provide perspective and analysis. We are seeking journalists with proven news reporting skills and a mastery of intelligent, conversational and visual story-telling skills.
The successful candidates will collaborate with colleagues throughout the newsrooms and think beyond traditional narratives to produce stories that are accurate, comprehensive, compelling, and relevant. They are digitally savvy and ready to experiment with new forms of storytelling and incorporate feedback from customer analytics to ensure that content leads to engagement and subscriptions. The focus will be daily reporting with some feature writing.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Torstar values of collaboration, focus, selflessness, agility, and results
- Meaningful professional experience as a business reporter, ideally 5-10 years of experience in this capacity
- Advanced journalism skills with a deep knowledge of current affairs, business and capital markets, and a focus on business news that matters most to people living in the Greater Toronto Area
- Excellent news judgment; story-telling, and multimedia skills
- Advanced writing skills and story-telling ability that lead to a conversational daily product
- Energy and creativity, with a passion for understanding issues facing the city of Toronto issues
- A self-starter who is flexible and able to generate quality story ideas
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven that enables the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy on deadline
- Interview and newsgathering skills and instincts to draw out subjects and gather the relevant information to bring a story to life
- Able to develop and maintain contacts and sources, skillfully interview people in often-demanding situations and show resourcefulness
- Diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with access to information procedures and databases
- Well versed in CP style
This is a notice of vacancy under Article 8 of collective agreement between Toronto Star Newspapers Limited and Unifor Local 87M. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment, but will all conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement. These positions will be located Toronto.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.
Please send a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and resume to:
Torstar Group of Companies
1 Young Street