Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Posted: February 6, 2020
Deadline: February 28, 2020
Brand Journalist (1 year contract) This is a 1 year contract full time position.
The creative team at SEIU Healthcare is a small but carefully assembled group of experts from a wide range of educational backgrounds, settings and professional experiences. Working closely with the Head of Strategic Communications and the rest of the creative team, the Brand Journalist plays an integral role in the development and delivery of an effective integrated communications strategy across the entire organization that elevates the brand and profile of SEIU Healthcare. They take projects from ideation to completion and are an expert at creating content and stories that captures our brand identity, captivates stakeholders and helps our membership fall in love with their union.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the Head of Strategic Communications and the rest of the creative team to help establish, evolve and execute standards for the voice and tone of our SEIU Healthcare brand.
- Adopts and understands our brand persona as a means to research, write, and edit content that speaks to a variety of target audiences and helps mobilize them into action.
- Understands how to develop an authentic voice and unique tone for each demographic and touchpoint.
- Participates in campaign and project ideation, serving internal and external stakeholder needs while upholding content quality.
- Conceptualizes and creates engaging content for all channels and collateral excluding digital and social media.
- Exhibits empathy for the needs of our membership and captures insights to develop targeted content that speaks directly to particular audiences, and positions the organization in evolving and compelling ways.
- Develops an in-depth knowledge of the organization, its programs/services and provides content assistance where required.
- Actively partners and collaborates with internal stakeholders to gather the necessary internal information to translate ideas into effective content that is consistent across the entire organization.
- Proactively takes ownership of content changes and requests that require follow-up in terms of rewrites, and makes in-depth inquiries into the legal implications, etc.
- Remains current across all media and channels to provide insightful perspectives on trends, innovations, and the competitive landscape to assist in creating an integrated communications strategy that ensures that content is relevant at all times.
- Understands and communicates the value proposition of SEIU Healthcare clearly and succinctly.
- Develops innovative recommendations and solutions for releasing content.
- Produces relevant and meaningful storytelling that best represents our brand and the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- An undergraduate degree or college diploma, preferably in Journalism, English or Communications.
- Preferably, 5+ years experience in copywriting and/or content development, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Excellent portfolio/writing samples that demonstrate the necessary range, breadth, and depth of voice and tone.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in tailoring key messages to fit targeted audiences, particularly the ability to communicate difficult campaign messages in a positive or negative manner to motivate audiences to a desired action or position.
- Ability to travel anywhere within the jurisdiction of SEIU including the United States and Puerto Rico. Frequent travel by automobile is required.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice for working families.
- Experience with the union movement or other grassroots advocacy campaigns highly desirable.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s licence.
Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of corporate communications and public relations within a business-to-business communications industry.
- Strong organization and time management skills that enable them to prioritize and manage a high volume of detailed work with conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills to facilitate routine and accelerated work requests.
- Press and media relations skills with demonstrated ability to gain a broad audience for campaign messages.
- A positive and professional team player that works well under pressure and is flexible and responsible.
- Continuously strives to increase knowledge of local policies and procedures, as well as a robust understanding of the labour movement.
- A superior level of comfort with a range of voice, tone, and style needs from professional to playful and everything in between.
- Resourceful and can solve problems in a creative and efficient manner
- The ability to work well independently, while maintaining excellent collaboration skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel), and online communications tools (WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.)
- Punctual, accurate, meticulous and reliable.
- Courteous manners with the public.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Political awareness and an understanding of the political landscape of the jurisdiction of SEIU Healthcare and the correlation between politics and the interests of the membership of SEIU Healthcare.
- An understanding of current events and issues relevant to SEIU Healthcare and the broader labour movement.
- The nature of the work requires the Brand Journalist to be exposed to a variety of different situations that can include a varied degree of emotion and conflict. They are expected to be able navigate, adapt and resolve these situations in order to meet the objectives of the organization.
- Long and irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
- Field work duties may include frequent contact with individuals in both in public and personal settings often alone in private residences.
- Required to follow policies and procedures as set out by SEIU Healthcare.
Written applications with cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and detailing qualifications and experience should be submitted here
no later than 4:30 PM Friday, February 28, 2020.
Please send us your journalist portfolio along with your application. Salary and other terms and conditions are in accordance with the field staff collective agreement. Please note that the Employer reserves the right to transfer, or assign staff anywhere within the Local 1 Canada jurisdiction. SEIU Local 1 Canada thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. SEIU Local 1 Canada is committed to diversity in its workplaces and welcomes applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources. Please note that only individuals who are selected for interviews will be contacted. We thank you for considering SEIU.
125 Mural Street