Jim Pattison Broadcast Group
|Senior Reporter/News Director
Location: North Battleford, Saskatchewan
Posted: February 3, 2020
The ‘NOW’ group of news portals in Saskatchewan saw an average of 2.93 million pageviews per month last year. Between six newsrooms across the province, we tell an average of 728 unique local news stories per month and our average daily time on site is upwards of 15 minutes on average. For our closest competitors, the time spent on site is usually less than 3 minutes. We are good at what we do and we want you to be a part of it.
The Jim Pattison Broadcast Group is hiring for a News Director position based in North Battleford, SK. The successful candidate would also be responsible for our Meadow Lake operation. The position may be adjusted to a Senior Reporter role with the intention to become News Director for a candidate who has less experience but shows exceptional potential. Anchoring will be required, so a strong on-air presentation would be an asset.
Our news environment is unlike any other. A truly collaborative approach between our newsrooms across the province encourages constant development through interaction. Our managers don’t sit in their offices. They sit among their colleagues to participate in the day to day operations of reporting, editing, directing and most importantly mentoring one-on-one.
- Organizing and coordinating daily newsroom activities including story generation.
- Work effectively with Editors and the News Director in our Prince Albert ‘hub’ where all web content is edited before posting
- Responsible for all content that goes to air and online.
- Editing/writing news and feature stories as needed. CP style knowledge.
- On-air announcing
- Developing and implementing editorial goals.
- Mentor, coach and guide the growth and development of members of the news team as our newsroom has many ‘first time’ reporters.
- Scheduling newsroom staff
- Seek out contacts with individuals and groups in the community to determine their news needs and interests.
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong news judgement, journalistic integrity
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in broadcast journalism
- Minimum 3-year experience in broadcasting or a related field
- Management experience
- Working knowledge of digital news including social media, CP writing style
- Valid driver’s license, vehicle
Please send a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board, resume, broadcast demo, writing examples, and a completed copy of the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group New Applicant Self ID form by March 7, 2020
Director of Information Programming – 900 CKBI/paNOW
1316 Central Ave. Prince Albert, SK S6V 6P5
Our New Applicant Self ID Form is available for download at www.jpbg.com/selfidform.pdf and should be completed and attached to all employment applications. Please note your completed forms will be kept confidential.
As part of the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group’s Employment Equity Policy we encourage women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to identify themselves as this may be to their advantage in helping us correct under-representation of those groups in our company.
Jim Pattison Broadcast Group
1316 Central Avenue, 2nd Floor