Fort McMurray Today (Postmedia)
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta
Posted: January 31, 2020
Deadline: March 31, 2020
Postmedia is a Canadian news media company representing more than 140 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
These positions are funded by News Media Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative and are designed to augment coverage of issues that matter to the communities in question.
Fort McMurray, Alta.
The Fort McMurray Today is seeking a multi-media journalist to cover civic institutions in parts of northern Alberta. Based out of the Fort McMurray Today newsroom, and funded by News Media Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative, this role provides the opportunity to cover the issues that matter to the rural and Indigenous communities of North Eastern Alberta that often operate with little oversight. With an emphasis on civic institutions such as village councils, Indigenous councils and the courts, the LJI reporter will be expected to spend time in various rural communities and find new ways to tell stories and engage readers, filing on multiple platforms.
What you’ll do:
- Reporting, writing and editing stories for print, Web and mobile audiences – while tailoring content to meet the varying needs of those platforms.
- Initiating and developing ideas for enterprise stories and investigative projects.
- Cultivating sources and establishing expertise in order to break stories and set the news agenda.
- Filing video clips for digital platforms; working with digital teams to create interactive maps and graphics, searchable databases, and other multimedia elements.
Who you are:
- You have excellent news judgment
- Demonstrable strengths in accurate, clean reporting
- Proven ability to initiate stories and enterprise features.
• Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Experience at a news organization in a deadline-oriented reporting/writing role
• Familiar with data journalism and investigative reporting
- Familiar with emerging digital trends and opportunities
- Able to shoot video with a mobile device
- Know how to leverage social media and digital platforms to break news and reach audiences
- Able to work quickly and independently, meet multiple deadlines, and make efficient decisions
- Possess a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
Should you be interested in this opportunity please apply with a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resume.
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.