The Salvation Army
|Associate Editor (parental leave contract)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: January 27, 2020
Deadline: February 17, 2020
Salary: $48,000 - $60,200
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
- The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
Core Values: The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
- Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
- Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
- Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
As an associate editor for Salvationist magazine (The Salvation Army’s denominational publication), this position is responsible for developing news, feature and other content on a regular basis to inform, inspire and build community within the wider organization. The position is also responsible for the co-ordination, scheduling, writing and development of social media posts and strategies for the internal social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube). The editor would also plan, write and supervise design of Just for Kids (a weekly one-sheet publication for children ages 6-12). Additional writing assignments are required for Faith & Friends magazine (The Salvation Army’s outreach magazine), as well as other editing duties as assigned.
Editor/Writer for Salvationist and Faith & Friends magazines:
- Contributes editorial content to the printed and online editions of Salvationist and Faith & Friends magazines.
- Assumes editorial responsibility for major research assignments, event coverage, interviews, special features and planned supplements as assigned.
- Liaises with local Salvation Army centres regarding editorial content for news and articles.
- Acts as proof-reader for Salvationist and Faith & Friends.
- Assists with marketing and circulation strategies.
- Represents The Salvation Army at public events where required.
- Conducts information and education workshops in the territory as assigned.
Salvationist.ca/Social Media Coordinator:
- Develops social media strategy in collaboration with the editor-in-chief.
- Oversees the posting of content on Salvationist.ca/social media platforms and the development of social media campaigns.
- Monitors all Salvationist social media accounts and engages with followers as appropriate.
- Co-ordinates social media coverage during major events.
- Develops digital content (e.g. videos, visuals) in collaboration with other communications staff.
- Compiles web and social media statistics.
- Publishes articles on Salvationist.ca and updates social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
Editor of Just for Kids:
- Co-ordinates the republishing and updating of back issues of Just for Kids, reporting to the editor-in-chief.
- Formulates a vision for Just for Kids and the message it communicates to children in the Canada and Bermuda Territory.
- Prepares an annual plan, taking into consideration Bible teaching, contests, activities, stories, crafts, Salvation Army news, enrolments, etc.
- Provides leadership in editorial content, including original text and art. Works with the designer regarding suggestions for graphics and layout.
- Ensures that all facets of the editorial process adhere to established deadlines.
Please note this is a contract position to cover a parental leave.
*NOTE: For some jobs, you may be required to provide validated educational documentation.
- Completion of a university degree in English, journalism or communications.
- Minimum of three years’ prior experience in the editorial field, including magazine editing, website management and social media management.
- Dedicated individual of integrity willing to embrace and further the mission of The Salvation Army.
- Able to handle stress, meet tight deadlines and display good time management.
- Team-oriented with strong interpersonal skills.
- Available to travel and accept assignments outside of the office, including occasional weekend work.
- A valid driver’s licence is required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to establish credibility quickly within the organization as a trusted reporter.
- Computer literate with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, website content management systems and social networking websites.
- Knowledgeable of research sources and how to use them in preparing articles.
- Able to work in a consultative, diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
- Background check consent
- Education verification
Please include the competition # 20-009 in the subject line of your email, stating in your cover note you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, and send to:
The Salvation Army
2 Overlea Blvd
Fax: (416) 422-6352