|GTA Housing Reporter
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: January 21, 2020
GTA Housing Reporter
The Toronto Star is pleased to be a participating in the Local Journalist Initiative, which aims to produce civic journalism for underserved communities. With the support of that program, we’re excited to be hiring a journalist to cover community housing in the Greater Toronto Area.
As a GTA affordable housing reporter, you will be responsible for covering the affordable housing situation in the Greater Toronto Area and in the City of Toronto. You will conduct original analysis and in-depth investigations on public and affordable housing providers and their practice and examine how this issue impacts marginalized communities (indigenous peoples, people of colour, LGBTQ2S, newcomers, people with disabilities, etc). You will also examine the general social and economic impact of the housing situation on the city and region as a whole.
You have a strong voice and are able to craft compelling stories that reach wide audiences. You collaborate with colleagues throughout the newsrooms and think beyond traditional narratives to produce stories that are accurate, comprehensive, compelling, and relevant. You are a master of intelligent, conversational and visual story-telling. You are digitally savvy and ready to experiment with new forms of storytelling and incorporate feedback from customer analytics.
- Meaningful professional experience at a major daily metropolitan newspaper
- Advanced journalism skills with a deep knowledge of current affairs, surrounding affordable housing and associated socio economic issues.
- Excellent news judgment
- Advanced writing, multi-media, and story-telling skills that lead to a conversational daily product
- Interview and newsgathering skills and instincts to draw out subjects and gather the relevant information to bring a story to life
- Able to develop and maintain contacts and sources, skillfully interview people in often-demanding situations and show resourcefulness
- Familiarity with access-to-information procedures and databases
- Diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Passion, energy and creativity
- A self-starter who comes up with own story ideas.
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven to enable the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy on deadline
- Strong social media skills, and an eye to data analysis
- Well versed in CP style
- Photo and video experience an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to the Torstar values of collaboration, focus, selflessness, agility, and results
These positions will be located at 1 Yonge Street in Toronto.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.
Please send a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and resume to:
1 Young Street