Sudbury.com / Northern Life
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posted: January 18, 2020
Deadline: February 15, 2020
Sudbury.com is looking for a talented, enthusiastic reporter to staff a new beat aimed at broadening our coverage areas.
Northern Ontario's largest city, Greater Sudbury has an economy based in mining, but with strong health, education and service sectors, and a thriving arts and culture community.
Greater Sudbury is a diverse city with a strong Francophone minority population, and a growing community of New Canadians and Indigenous people. We feel these communities, and the challenges they face do not receive as much coverage as they deserve.
For these reason, we are creating a beat we're calling Communities, the goal of which is to elevate the coverage of more marginalized and underserved communities in our city to increase understanding, cooperation and appreciation on all sides.
Sudbury.com is a provincial and national award-winning daily news and information website. Billing ourselves as "Your source for everything Sudbury," Sudbury.com has a reputation for objectivity and accuracy. We pride ourselves on being different. Our newsroom also publishes the weekly community newspaper Northern Life.
This job is a 15-month contract.
Given the tight timeline, the successful candidate will be a go-getter and a self-starter ready to hit the ground running. Besides strong writing skills, the successful candidate will be a skilled photographer, a master of social media, able to identify reliable sources and grow our audience. The ability to speak a second language would work in your favour. Being comfortable on camera in both live and recorded situations would be an asset. Video-editing skills would be an added bonus.
Above all, the successful candidate will be a talented storyteller with a desire to dig into stories both simple and complex.
We offer a competitive salary and strong health coverage for our employees.
- Write well-researched, accurate and engaging articles and opinion pieces for publication in print and online
- Foster relationships between Sudbury.com and underserved communities in the city
- Shoot accompanying photos for articles (and possibly video)
- Appear in videos produced by Sudbury.com
- Knowledge of Canadian Press style, Photoshop (skills with Adobe Premier would be an asset)
- An understanding of multimedia news generation, and some understanding of SEO
- Creative mind and storytelling skills
- Ability to write print articles and produce photography to accommodate articles
- A good eye for composition
- Skill with and enthusiasm for social media sites (e.g. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram)
- A degree or diploma in journalism or a related field
- A reliable vehicle and a current driver's licence
- A team-player with multi-tasking skills to produce in a fast, complex environment
Please send a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and resume to:
Sudbury,com / Northern Life
158 Elgin Street
Web address: http://Sudbury.com