|Multimedia Court Journalist
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posted: January 10, 2020
Deadline: January 23, 2020
Tbnewswatch.com is the online component of Dougall Media, a multimedia company based in Thunder Bay that operates a television station, weekly newspaper and various radio stations and we are looking for a talented and motivated journalist to fill a full-time position in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
The successful candidate for this position:
- Has a basic knowledge of the law, of court process and of the hierarchy of the courts.
- Would be able to provide in-depth coverage of a variety of cases of interest particularly those that involve cases that are reported by police.
- Would be able to develop strong relationships with both the local legal community, but also the prosecutorial community too.
- Would be able to keep track of court cases through the system to keep the public informed throughout the process.
- Would be able to provide in-depth coverage of police board meetings.
- Would be a detail-oriented person who is able to multi-task and juggle multiple cases at the same time.
- Would be someone who has excellent time-management skills
- Would be someone who is able to understand the intricacies of the court system.
- Degree or diploma in print journalism, or a related field
- At least 1 year experience in journalism
- Superior language, writing and editing skills
- Experience with photography, and knowledge of editing software
- A willingness to work a variety of shifts
- A valid driver’s licence
- An ability to meet tight deadlines
- Willingness to relocate to Thunder Bay, Ontario
This a contract position through the Local Journalism Initiative, with funding in place through March 31, 2021. Start date is Feb. 1, 2020.
Please forward your resume, cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and examples of your writing and photography to:
Nicole Dixon, web manager tbnewswatch.com
87 Hill Street N.,
Thunder Bay, Ontario
87 North Hill Street