Native Communications Society of the NWT/CKLB Radio
|Radio Host/News Reporter
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Posted: January 8, 2020
The Native Communications Society of the NWT (NCS) is the Territory’s premier Aboriginal Broadcaster with coverage across the entire territory and beyond. NSC boasts a team of creative, passionate, and talented individuals constantly searching for stories that inform and educate. CKLB, a division of NCS, delivers news, current affairs and diverse regional and cultural perspectives daily to our valued listeners in five Aboriginal languages and English.
NCS is currently seeking a Radio Host/News Reporter to work full-time in a fast-paced, creative, cross-cultural environment in our production facility in Yellowknife, NWT.
If you have a nose for news, a voice for radio, and are seeking the cultural experience of a lifetime then CKLB is the place for you.
- Work in partnership with other news staff
- Bring story ideas to the table on a daily basis.
- Conduct telephone/in person interviews and research stories.
- Report, write, edit and contribute high quality news stories.
- Read live newscasts and record casts for other programs.
- Host radio shows
- Pro-active in developing and following up on stories.
- Cover live news events, filing voice reports by phone or via e-mail, as required.
- Maintain focus on target audience when covering stories.
- Available for emergency coverage at all times.
- Responsible for uploading news stories to our website on a daily basis.
- Develop and maintain relationships with newsmakers.
- Strong, confident and natural delivery on air
- 1-year Radio Host experience a definite asset
- Professional and courteous at all times
- Ability to write news stories in a clear, concise and creative manner
- Motivated and willing to work as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills
- Able to work in a fast paced environment under pressure
- Excellent communication and interview skills
- Experience with Newsroom software programs an asset
- Experience with LAWO, AXIA control boards an asset
- Experience posting to social media also an asset
- Able to follow direction
- Detail-oriented and a self-starter
- Outgoing personality, willing to speak to people in the community
- Degree/Diploma in Journalism or Creative Writing preferred
NCS offers an attractive benefits package; the salary for this position is competitive with Broadcast Industry standards. Only those candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter stating that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board, resume, 2 samples of writing and an on air demo (max of 1 min) to:
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Native Communications Society of the NWT
4510 50th Avenue Box 2193
Web address: http://www.ncsnwt.com www.cklbradio.com