Fernie Free Press (Black Press)
Location: Fernie, British Columbia
Posted: November 30, 2019
Deadline: December 31, 2019
The Free Press newspaper in Fernie B.C. has an opening for a full-time, permanent multimedia Journalist. The successful candidate will be joining the largest multimedia reporting force in British Columbia. Black Press employs 185 journalists in the province, generating news content for highly competitive and expanding digital platforms, and longstanding print products.
The Free Press is driven by a digital-first mandate, which maintains a local focus on people, events and issues in the city.
Fernie is located in the beautiful East Kootenay region of B.C., offering limitless outdoor recreation opportunities, including some of the most renowned skiing and snowboarding in the country.
The successful candidate will have:
- Outstanding writing skills for print and web.
- A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment.
- Excellent skills in generating website trafﬁc and audience engagement through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and UGC strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of photography, and video shooting and editing. Regular video production is a standard requirement in all Black Press newsrooms.
- The ability to adhere to deadlines and take direction while contributing original story ideas.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, iMovie and Canadian Press style.
- The successful candidate must be a team player, able to multitask and execute in a complex digital and print publishing environment.
- Applicants must hold formal journalism degrees or diplomas, and broadcast training and experience are distinct assets.
- A valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are mandatory.
Black Press is Canada’s largest private community news media company with extensive digital and newspaper properties throughout B.C., Alberta, Washington, California, Alaska
and Hawaii. We offer a competitive salary and benefits packages.
Please forward your cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resume to email@example.com
Andrew Holota, Editorial Director
Black Press Media
Unit 208 – 15288 54A Ave
Tel: (778) 809-7266