Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: November 26, 2019
The Toronto Star has 5 vacancies in Vancouver, B.C. in the Journalist classification in the Editorial Department. Journalists can be assigned to any newsroom department across a variety of assignments and locations.
Toronto Star Journalists must be able to report and write authoritatively on breaking news, as well as provide perspective and analysis. We are seeking journalists with proven news reporting skills and a mastery of intelligent, conversational and visual story-telling skills.
The successful candidates will collaborate with colleagues throughout the newsrooms and think beyond traditional narratives to produce stories that are accurate, comprehensive, compelling, and relevant. They are digitally savvy and ready to experiment with new forms of storytelling and incorporate feedback from customer analytics to ensure that content leads to engagement and subscriptions.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Torstar values of collaboration, focus, selflessness, agility, and results
- Meaningful professional experience (3 years or more) at a major daily metropolitan newspaper
- Advanced journalism skills with a deep knowledge of current affairs
- Excellent news judgment; story-telling, and multimedia skills
- Advanced writing skills and story-telling ability that lead to a conversational daily product
- Passion, energy and creativity
- A self-starter who is flexible and able to generate story ideas
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven that enables the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy on deadline
- Interview and newsgathering skills and instincts to draw out subjects and gather the relevant information to bring a story to life
- Able to develop and maintain contacts and sources, skillfully interview people in often-demanding situations and show resourcefulness
- Diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with access to information procedures and databases
- Well versed in CP style
This is a notice of vacancy under Article 8 of collective agreement between Toronto Star Newspapers Limited and Unifor Local 87M. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment, but will all conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement. These positions will be located in Halifax (1 vacancy), Edmonton (3 vacancies), Calgary (2 vacancies), and Vancouver (5 vacancies). Employees may be transferred from one office and/or bureau to another office and/or bureau in accordance with the collective agreement.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply online - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - here