Penticton Western News (Black Press)
Location: Penticton, British Columbia
Posted: November 18, 2019
Deadline: December 31, 2019
This is a prime opportunity to join the largest multimedia reporting force in British Columbia, in one of the most sought-after regions in the province – the Okanagan-Shuswap.
Black Press Media employs 185 journalists in the province, and is rapidly expanding its multimedia platforms in addition to long-standing, profitable print products.
We are currently seeking a highly talented, motivated Multimedia Journalist who will work to increase our news output, while growing our extremely competitive digital platforms, including social media and websites.
The successful applicant will work closely with the Okanagan Bureau Chief and assignment editors, producing content for the Penticton Western News, a highly read community news website and paper.
This position will focus on creating content for breaking news, features, community news and in-depth reporting in the South Okanagan.
The successful applicant must understand the many functions of a journalist position, from working independently to having the technical skill to create a news story from the ground up, to handling all the different jobs that go with producing a news story, including production, reporting, video operation and video editing.
Flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to meet tight daily deadlines are vital.
Successful candidates will possess an excellent understanding of live reporting, photography, shooting and editing video.
- Produce one to two news video stories a week with written online news story
- Create content that is engaging and speaks to what matters most to the residents of the Okanagan
- Work on key story initiatives from investigative story-telling to feature news stories
- Follow standards that are fair, accurate, thoughtful and immediate, and which reflect the communities we serve
- A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment
- Excellent skills in driving website trafﬁc and audience engagement through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and UGC strategies
- Ability to shoot and edit video news stories
- Graduation from university or community college in a formal journalism program
- Knowledgeable in regard to news judgement, ethics and coverage strategies
- Passionate about the Okanagan in terms of news and issues
- A working knowledge of Photoshop and iMovie
- May involve some weekend and evening work
- A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are mandatory
Black Press Media is Canada’s largest private community news media company with extensive digital and newspaper properties throughout B.C., Alberta, Washington, California, Alaska and Hawaii.
Those wishing to join Black Press Media can submit their resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
Please also cc:
Black Press Media