Edmonton Journal/Sun (Postmedia)
|Assistant Managing Editor
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posted: November 5, 2019
Deadline: November 22, 2019
Postmedia is the largest publisher by circulation of paid English-language daily newspapers in Canada, representing some of the country’s oldest and best known media brands. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams are bringing engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it. This exceptional content, reach and scope offer advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. At Postmedia, we value open communication between our employees and managers. Our mission is to ensure that our employees have the abilities and aspirations to meet business requirements in alignment with our company values. To support the continuous growth of our Postmedia expansion, we are always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our fast growing team!
Are you looking to join a dynamic and innovative team of journalists setting the news agenda in Alberta’s capital? The Edmonton Journal and Edmonton Sun newsroom is looking to hire a senior news editor to help lead the newsroom and drive robust, high-quality coverage across our digital and print products. The successful candidate will lead by example, setting a high standard for our coverage across platforms, ensuring timeliness, relevance and creative storytelling. The candidate we are looking for is a strategic thinker who is active across social media platforms. This candidate is a team player and a self-starter, at ease in a deadline-oriented setting, and is accustomed to fast-paced content creation in a 24-hour, seven-day operation. Applicants must have excellent news judgment and demonstrable strengths in managing people and projects. Candidates must be familiar with emerging digital trends and know how to leverage social media and digital platforms to break news and reach audiences.
What you’ll do
- Oversee the local news operation; ensuring the team is on track to lead the market in breaking news and enterprise journalism
- Work with the managing editor and assignment editor to run the daily operations of the newsroom for both digital and print platforms
- Work with the assignment editor to develop daily news and feature story ideas
- Make judgment calls and work with staff and other newsroom leaders to effectively handle issues that arise
- Edit and post content to digital platforms
- Lead a team of reporters and columnists on local news coverage
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis. Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
- A journalism degree or diploma plus five years of experience at a daily news operation
- Experience in a leadership role; experience mentoring and coaching an asset
- Proven track record of managing and inspiring teams
- Superior editing skills and news judgment
- Able to adapt to emerging trends in multimedia reporting
- Knowledge of Canadian Press style guides and legal issues
Any employee, who believes that he/she is qualified, and who has an interest in this career opportunity, should inform his/her Manager of such interest. Internal applicants must include in the subject line of their application “Internal Applicant.”
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Should you be interested in this opportunity please forward a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board, resume and writing examples to:
Postmedia Network Inc.