The Free Press
Location: Fernie, British Columbia
Posted: October 19, 2019
The Free Press in Fernie is seeking a dynamic Multi-Media Editor to lead our news team.
Key responsibilities of the Multi-Media Editor include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Make department recommendations to Publisher for continued news source dominance as needed.
- Develop strategy for continued audience growth for 90 days, 6 months, and 12 months out.
- Monitor growth and report monthly Page Views and Unique Visitor results for the online portals. Establish key partnership opportunities
- Lead and develop communication strategies and ideas across all key media platforms (Print, Online & Social Media)
- Manage deadlines
- Assign all relevant story text, including photos & picture galleries along with video clips on a daily basis.
- Ensure that all journalists are participating in all aspects of writing, social media post, etc.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Review and approve all story proofs prior to publication.
- Proof copy to detect and correct errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation and syntax on all media platforms.
- Ensure that source data, facts and statistics using standard reference sources are verified.
- Evaluate and edit press releases or other materials submitted for publication.
- Meet frequently with journalists to resolve problems and discuss current performance objectives.
- Recruit staff as required, and manage attendance and performance expectations.
- Establish newsroom budgets and manage newsroom expenses within the approved budget.
- Ensure that all relevant community stories are uploaded to our website and that Facebook, Twitter and other social media feeds are constantly updated.
- Create content on key special supplements assigned by the Publisher.
- Monitor our competition on story selection to ensure we are a leader of all local news sources, including press releases, key contacts and other news reporters.
- Represent the publication at community and networking events where applicable and as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager.
The ideal candidate will be proficient in key media platforms (print, online, and social media) and possess a strong understanding of and passion for community journalism. You will create and implement story and visual content strategies that reflect the multiple communities we serve in the Elk Valley and South Country, as well as understand and engage our audience to ensure strong readership across those platforms.
You will also be a strong newsroom leader and teacher, working closely with reporters and participating in all aspects of writing, photography and videography, and social media posting. Black Press newspapers, web sites, and social media sites are the leading sources of news in the communities we serve – the Multi-Media Editor will ensure that we continue to grow our audiences by providing them with industry-leading information about Fernie and its surrounding communities.
We will look for a journalism degree or diploma and a track record that demonstrates skill in writing, editing, videography and social media, and digital journalism, along with a proven ability to lead a news team.
If this is you, please send your resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
The Free Press
342 2nd Avenue