Page One Publishing
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Posted: September 9, 2019
Deadline: September 20, 2019
Page One Publishing, the Victoria, B.C.-based publisher of YAM, Douglas and Spruce magazines, is seeking to hire an Editorial Assistant for an internship, which could lead to permanent employment.
If you are our ideal candidate, you have a curious nature and strong writing skills (including punctuation and grammar) and are passionate about working in the exciting world of magazine publishing. You know how to conduct and transcribe interviews and how to write fluently and accurately to deadlines. You are an organized multitasker with excellent people skills who adapts easily to change and thrives on the challenge of producing exceptional magazines.
- Collaborate with the editor-in-chief and deputy editor to research and plan articles.
- Follow current events and developments; suggest original ideas.
- Provide administrative support when needed, including liaising with writers about deadlines, managing freelance invoices, tracking proofs and booking interviews.
- Write news items and feature articles.
- Write online and e-news content along with social media posts.
- Proofread and fact check.
- Source products and images.
- Liaise with writers, sales and marketing staff, designers and photographers.
- Work with Page One team, as required, on special events, marketing initiatives and promotion of editorial material.
A writing or journalism degree from a recognized college or university is required. Industry experience is a plus.
Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Google Docs and Adobe Acrobat is essential. Experience with Adobe InCopy or InDesign and WordPress is a plus. The ideal candidate will also be experienced in social-media content development, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Internship duration: Sep 2019 to Feb 2020 (Office closed between Christmas and New Years). There is a possibility that this position could lead to permanent employment.
Hours: 8:30 am – 4:30pm, Mon-Thurs.
Application Instructions: Please email your resume and cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board to:
Page One Publishing
580 Ardesier Road
, British Columbia
Web address: http://pageonepublishing.ca