Playback & Banff World Media Festival
|Editor & Content Director
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: August 2, 2019
Salary: not stated
Playback, a unit of Brunico Communications Ltd (Brunico), produces market-leading publications and events that serve the unique business needs and interests of Canadian entertainment content executives and industry stakeholders, including Playback Magazine and Banff World Media Festival. We are searching for a content leader who can help execute our overall brand strategy across all content channels including print, digital and live events.
Brunico is a highly regarded b2b media company operating a portfolio of renowned publications and events in the global Media & Entertainment sector. Over the last decade the company has successfully transitioned from trade publisher to multi-platform media company leveraging its strong entrepreneurial culture. Our portfolio includes several of the most trusted and influential brands in the sector with an unmatched ability to inform and connect with their communities. Since 1986, we have cultivated deep industry relationships and combined that with a client-centric approach that has allowed us to grow throughout a period of unprecedented disruption.
Working with your editorial team, you will be responsible for developing, managing and executing magazine and daily news for Playback in alignment with its brand strategy. The goal is to enrich each publication with the most current, relevant and comprehensive content available, presented in a fun and conversational tone.
Additionally, the Editor & Content Director plays a lead role in the development and execution of the conference agenda and awards competition for the internationally renowned Banff World Media Festival (BANFF) along with your team of producers. Entering its 41st year, BANFF is a must-attend international conference and marketplace attracting more the 1,500 delegates from 25+ countries.
Reporting to Playback’s Publisher, the Editor & Content Director is also charged with ensuring that the brand maintains and builds upon its status as a thought leader and go-to source for information and networking opportunities in the industry.
- Developing and implementing an editorial plan that aligns with the strategic objectives of the brand
- Motivating, developing and managing a staff of writers, junior editors, producers and freelancers/contributors
- Planning/assigning/writing copy, editing the magazine (four issues a year), and overseeing/evolving online content and user experience
- Crafting BANFF’s leading edge annual conference program and securing senior decision-makers and creative talent who will lend a voice to the most pressing issues and opportunities before the industry.
- Effectively collaborating with creative and digital service departments to ensure the highest-quality work is done on all Playback/BANFF content and platforms
- Developing and maintaining high-level industry contacts/relationships to ensure Playback/BANFF’s content direction remains ahead of the curve
- University degree in Journalism or Communications
- Five-plus years in senior editorial roles, with experience managing multiple, overlapping projects and deadlines
- Experience managing in-house and freelance editorial resources effectively
- Outstanding editorial standards and judgment
- A keen eye for detail and a borderline obsession for copy consistency and excellence
- A fun and conversational writing style, especially as applied to denser, complicated subject matter
- Strong aptitude for display writing and art direction
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency with PC platforms, Microsoft Office, WordPress, InCopy, PhotoShop
- Experience producing content for live events would be an asset
- Knowledge of the business side of the Canadian broadcast and online content industry and regulatory environment, with an understanding of the global marketplace would be an asset
Thank you for your interest. We will contact those candidates who meet the qualifications, have supplied all of the application criteria, and seem like they might be a good fit for our brand.
- Your resumé and cover letter, stating you found this job on Gaulin Media
- Three professional writing samples with your byline
- Three feature story ideas that would be relevant for Playback readers
- Your salary expectations