The Catholic Register
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: March 13, 2019
Deadline: April 5, 2019
The Catholic Register, Canada’s national Catholic weekly newspaper, seeks a full-time editor to oversee the daily operation of its digital operations. This is a full-time position with benefits.
The ideal candidate will be a combination news-junkie and techie who has a journalism degree or relevant experience plus up-to-date digital media skills that include working knowledge of HTML, web site management, multi-media and social media.
Based in Toronto, this is a multi-faceted role that requires someone who can source news, proof articles, write headlines and post stories on daily deadlines, and is adept at using Adobe’s product suite, as well as help with basic IT support in the office.
The digital editor is essentially the go-to person in a small newsroom and is responsible for creating and maintaining webpages, managing social media, managing a newsletter, updating the digital edition of the newspaper, responding to web requests and IT support from other departments and liaising with the Register’s vendors on IT questions and matters related to the website, such as server maintenance, application development, maintaining the CMS and site design.
The digital editor also coordinates with journalists on the creation of digital media, such as videos, slide-shows and audio interviews, for the digital edition of The Catholic Register.
- Journalism degree or relevant experience in writing and editing
- Experience working on deadline
- Expertise in social media: Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Experience with Search Engine Optimization techniques and Google analytics reports
- Experience using FileZilla or similar FTP programs
- Experience with Joomla content management systems
- Knowledge and/or experience with XHTML CSS and web design practices
- Experience working in a Macintosh and OS X Server environment
- Experience with screen-sharing technology: TeamViewer, Splashtop, Apple Remote Control
- Ability to provide Level 1 and 2 tech support
- Ability to manage e-mail servers, cPanel
- Experience with MailChimp or similar newsletter marketing platforms
- Skills in photography, video and editing an asset
- Understanding of the Catholic faith, Church institutions and religious media a definite advantage
Send applications by email to email@example.com. Include a resume and a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board.
The Catholic Register
1155 Yonge St.
Web address: http://www.catholicregister.org