Vancouver Sun (Postmedia Network)
|Web Editor (part-time)
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: March 7, 2019
Deadline: March 25, 2019
The Vancouver Sun and The Province are seeking a web editor with expertise in social media for a permanent, part-time position at four days a week on our dynamic digital team.
The successful applicant must have excellent news judgment, be a self-starter who is able to work independently or as part of a team, and have a flexible schedule.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Effectively organize and distribute content on the Vancouver Sun and Province desktop and mobile websites, apps and social-media accounts, based on metrics, knowledge of coverage area and journalism experience.
- Post content to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social-media accounts, as well as run social-media campaigns, interact with readers and users of those tools, and test new products and strategies.
- Increase audience engagement and reach by supplementing stories with additional content, and optimizing posts for search and social.
- Copy edit and write stories as required.
- React quickly to breaking news and trends, ensure our coverage is first and best, and distribute across all platforms in a timely fashion.
- Prioritize publishing times based on reader trends, and ensure we have fresh content for peak periods on all platforms.
- Enhance differentiation between products, with a particular focus on mobile.
- Generate ideas and develop strategies to grow our digital presence.
- Applicants must have journalism experience working on digital platforms.
- Essential personal qualities of the successful candidate include:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure; and a keen interest in news and news coverage.
- Knowledge of Wordpress, Photoshop, video editing and SEO are an asset, as are additional language skills.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), CV and links to past work by 5 pm Monday, March 25 to:
Valerie Casselton, managing editor
The Vancouver Sun & The Province