LexisNexis Canada/The Lawyer's Daily
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: March 5, 2019
Toronto - Full time
The Lawyer’s Daily, published by LexisNexis Canada is looking for an experienced editor to join our leading legal publishing team in the Toronto office at 404/Finch. Start date: ASAP
With a strong background in legal news coverage, you will research, pitch, source and assign legal articles and columns (legal issues, case comments, legislation etc.) in various areas of practice to lawyers, law professors and other legal professionals.
Candidate must be a self-starter comfortable with developing and owning specific legal areas of practice, sourcing story ideas and authors and performing accurate editing and production duties to tight deadlines, but also a team player.
The Analysis Editor participates in all aspects of the website’s daily content pertaining to the assigned areas of practice, including:
- Coordinate with other Analysis Editors on publishing schedule and send weekly publishing sked to senior editors.
- Attend daily editorial meetings.
- Supply interview sources to news reporters when appropriate.
- Research, pitch, and assign stories (analysis articles and columns) about the Canadian legal industry for each of the assigned areas of practice. Verify articles for relevance and accuracy, proper citations etc. Request any missing information or clarifications from authors before sending to Copy Editor.
- Acquire and insert head shots, bios and any illustrative art deemed appropriate, as well as signed licence agreements. Request complimentary subscription for authors when warranted.
- Write headlines and sub-headlines.
- Enter articles into the system, along with appropriate tags, and supervise copy editing.
- Publish articles and send links to contributors.
- Add the articles to various social media channels.
- Send out e-newsletters for each area of practice.
- Fill in as backup Copy Editor when needed.
- Fill in as backup to other Analysis Editors when sick or on vacation.
- Attend and network at outside legal functions (conferences, receptions, panel discussions etc.) when appropriate.
- Develop professional relationships with LexisNexis staff from other departments for mutual benefit.
- Experience researching and assigning articles and columns about the Canadian legal industry.
- Experience in identifying, developing and working with knowledgeable legal authors in all areas of the law.
- Five years’ experience working full-time in an editorial capacity in a media organization or as a successful freelance editor.
- Excellent editing skills, with a creative approach to story ideas, headlines and copy and a sharp eye for grammar and proofreading.
- Degree in journalism is preferred.
- Proven sound editorial judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to originate coverage on developing news stories and features and ensure authors meet deadlines and agreed-upon story criteria.
- Excellent communication skills, highly organized and self-motivated.
- Able to handle multiple assigned stories and maintain creativity in a tight, deadline-oriented environment.
- Knowledge and experience in using social media.
- Basic photo editing skills.
- Experience in using content management systems is an asset.
- Sound knowledge of Canadian Press style.
- An excellent command of the English language.
- Own transport would be beneficial.
This is a full-time position based in our office in Toronto, Ontario. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. The deadline is open until we find the right candidate. We thank all applicants; however, only candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
LexisNexis Canada Inc. is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.