Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc.
|Senior Manager, Media Relations
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: February 25, 2019
Deadline: March 25, 2019
Salary: not stated
Are you inquisitive, collaborative and self-motivated? Do you want to make a difference in our company and help us create something new? Are you able to take the lead, dealing with challenging timelines and working autonomously? If the answer is yes, ja, sim or igen, then we’d like to hear from you.
We are looking for a Manager Media Relations & Issues Management who will be accountable of acting as the primary contact for Rothmans, Benson & Hedges (RBH), affiliate of PMI in Canada, to advance the strategic positioning of the company and its public affairs strategy with the media.
You should be able to:
- Develop and execute a proactive, national media relations strategy to improve media opportunities and leads media issues, including media education tours, media outreach, announcements of RBH activities, position, product and corporate developments, milestones, etc.;
- Lead Director & senior RBH leaders for media interactions as needed, including a thorough and detailed news and media market research prior to official statements;
- Proactively work with RBH leaders to identify and develop news stories related to RBH developments innovation, science, technology and the associated regulatory environment to ensure the company’s strategy to build a “Smoke Free Canada” by 2035;
- Collaborate closely with teammates within External Affairs to ensure consistent messaging on all channels and to find opportunities to improve content reach;
- Respond in a timely manner to inquiries and inaccuracies in the media about RBH operations and activities;
- Write and disseminate media materials, including key messages, news releases, advisories;
- Pitch media opportunities for the company, including op-eds, editorial boards, keynote speaking engagements, journalism school & media industry engagement;
- Network proactively with media industry to build authentic, constructive and trusting relationships with members of Canadian press at national and local level in key markets, across platforms (print, magazine, digital, TV, radio);
- Lead media relations staff, contractors and consultants and act as a spokesperson with print, radio, TV and online media.
Bilingualism (English/French) preferred in both official languages, both written and oral;*Minimum 10 years working in media or public relations; newsroom experience highly desired; corporate issues management, particularly in an intensive, challenging industry or company preferred;
Minimum 2 years of personnel/staff management;
Proven results in leading ongoing media relations campaigns, including validated ability to secure media coverage broadly in mainstream Canadian press and improve reach, share of voice and sentiment over time;
Established media contacts in press and ability to expand network;
General understanding of Canadian political system and current political dynamics;
Strategic and collaborative leadership style, thoughtful judgment, team-oriented;
Deadline driven; ability to work in a dynamic, changing business environment;
Experience speaking and writing about complex, difficult often hostile issues.
Find a new path
We offer you a fresh perspective. Here, you will never stop exploring and discovering. We take on-the-job learning to another level, giving you every opportunity to develop your career and reach your full potential. This position will advance your experience with innovative technologies, services, and processes. Backed by a competitive salary and compensation package, you will work in a professional setting with clients and team members from all over the world.
Join a global market leader
We are the world’s leading international tobacco company, with six of the top 15 international brands and products sold in more than 180 markets. In addition to the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, including the number one global cigarette brand, and other tobacco products, PMI is engaged in the development and commercialization of Reduced-Risk Products (“RRPs”).
RRPs is the term PMI uses to refer to products with the potential to reduce individual risk and population harm in comparison to smoking cigarettes. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities, and industry-leading scientific substantiation, PMI aims to provide an RRP portfolio that meets a broad spectrum of adult smoker preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements.
Diversity and inclusion is one of our core values. PMI wants to work with the best talent available. Our diverse workforce of around 81,000 people speaks more than 80 languages. Our priority is to attract, support, and retain individuals from across the planet – no matter their age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or physical ability. Our people are our greatest strength, and we're proud of our culture of openness and respect.
PMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information, see www.pmi.com and www.pmiscience.com.
Interested candidates should apply online, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, here