The Toronto Star
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: February 14, 2019
Salary: not stated
The Toronto Star has one vacancy in the Columnist classification in the Editorial Department. This columnist will cover the Toronto Blue Jays and Major League Baseball. Reporting to the Sports Editor, the successful applicant will join a team of motivated, dedicated journalists who cover one of the busiest sports markets in North America.
Columnist Role & Responsibilities:
- The baseball columnist will write four to five columns and/or features a week on the Blue Jays and baseball in season, and other sports as required during the offseason
- The columnist will be required provide opinion and analysis, as well as breaking news and features on the Blue Jays and Major League Baseball, on all publishing platforms
- In addition to regular columns, the baseball columnist may be required to write game stories and sidebars as needed
- Maintain an active presence on multiple social-media platforms and collaborate with social team to promote Toronto Star coverage and content.
- Create and shape content around big events like spring training, World Series and MLB free agency.
- Cover other sports as needed in the offseason, while continuing to provide baseball and Blue Jays angles and opinion/analysis.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Torstar values of collaboration, focus, selflessness, agility, and results
- Meaningful professional experience (5 years or more) at a major media organization including experience in digital platforms
- Minimum five years’ experience covering Major League Baseball.
- A distinct voice and personality that make you a master story teller
- Strong news judgment and ability to develop sources.
- Deep expertise in Major League Baseball, including MLB’s top industry voices and decision makers, from players to executives and agents.
- Broad knowledge of and interest in a variety of sports
- Able to perform at a high level in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment and meet aggressive deadlines while managing multiple projects
- Able to respond positively to constructive feedback from editors and colleagues
- Effective collaborative skills and desire to be strong team player, willing to work with multiple editors and writers on projects, including the baseball beat reporter
- Significant experience and presence on social media, and willing to explore emerging social platforms
- Able to work evenings and weekends and possession of a valid passport
This position will be headquartered at 1 Yonge Street in Toronto, with significant time spent offsite. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment, but will all conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, here