Black Press Media
|Multi-media video journalist
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Posted: January 17, 2019
Deadline: February 28, 2019
This is a prime opportunity to join the largest multimedia reporting
force in British Columbia, in one of the most sought-after regions in
the province – the Okanagan-Shuswap.
Black Press Media employs 185 journalists in the province, and is
rapidly expanding its multimedia platforms in addition to long-standing,
profitable print products.
We are currently seeking a highly talented, motivated
video-journalist who will work to increase our video news output, while
growing our extremely competitive digital platforms, including social
media and websites.
The successful applicant will work closely with the Okanagan Bureau
Chief and assignment editors, producing video content for nine highly
read community news websites.
This will be a key position to drive video growth online and will
focus on creating video for breaking news, features, community news and
The successful applicant must understand the many functions of a
video journalist position, from working independently to having the
technical skill to create a news story from the ground up, to handling
all the different jobs that go with producing a news story, including
production, reporting, video operation and video editing.
Flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to meet tight daily deadlines are vital.
Successful candidates will possess an excellent understanding of live
reporting, SEO, UGC, photography, shooting and editing video.
- Produce one to two news video stories a day with written online news story
- Create content that is engaging and speaks to what matters most to the residents of the Okanagan
- Work on key story initiatives from investigative story-telling to feature news stories
- Follow standards that are fair, accurate, thoughtful and immediate, and which reflect the communities we serve
- A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment
- Excellent skills in driving website trafﬁc and audience engagement
through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and
- Ability to shoot and edit video news stories
- Graduation from university or community college in a relevant course of study or equivalent industry
- Knowledgeable in regard to news judgment, ethics and coverage strategies
- Passionate about the Okanagan in terms of news and issues
- Experience with Google Analytics, WordPress, Mail Chimp,
- A working knowledge of Photoshop, Lightroom, Final Cut Pro and/or Adobe Premier
- May involve some weekend and evening work
- A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are mandatory
Those wishing to join Black Press Media can submit their resumes, cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulins' Journalism Job Board - and demo reel to:
Dave Hamilton, president
Black Press Media - BC Interior South Division