Black Press Media
|Multi-media Journalist -Social media strategist
||REF#: JG 30-507
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Posted: January 17, 2019
Deadline: February 28, 2019
You have a passion for journalism!
How deep does it run?
Will it drive you to become a leader in the changing world of news and information delivery?
If so, be part of a company that is transforming the media industry
across western Canada, through innovation, energy and a long legacy of
award-winning journalism in the service of our communities.
We will take the dynamic, the stars of tomorrow’s media world, and welcome them to opportunities they might not have imagined.
Black Press is rapidly expanding its multimedia platforms, built on a
foundation of highly respected community newspapers known for their
accuracy, insight and integrity. These values are woven into our
successful business model, with the most vital components being the
talented members of the Black Press team.
We are leveraging our local scale and outstanding journalism to
compete aggressively in the digital market, while maintaining core print
products that continue to deliver in-depth, relevant and engaging
content to a wide demographic, and producing results for marketing
clients who depend on the delivery of their message via multiple
This is a prime opportunity to join the largest multimedia reporting
force in British Columbia, in one of the most sought-after regions in
Black Press Media Okanagan Division is looking for a creative and social media-savvy journalist who
will not only manage and grow social media but will work to produce
breaking news, features, community news and in-depth reporting on
This position will be responsible for posting, scheduling and curating content, including UGC harvesting, as well as reporting on key issues in the Okanagan.
The successful applicants will possess outstanding writing and oral
communication skills and a clear understanding of copy editing, grammar
and Canadian Press style. A background in broadcast, video-journalism and live reporting is a key asset
The social media/multi-media journalist will
be responsible for increasing social media followers, generating
traffic to Black Press Media’s web properties in the Okanagan,
maintaining a high-octane pace of posting and highly creative social
- Manage and execute high-volume social media campaigns in Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Analyze social media opportunities and make recommendations as to how to best exploit them
- Engage and communicate with followers by liking posts, responding to comments and answering questions
- Produce plans, analyses and recommendations on targeting, geography, scheduling and content
- A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment
- Excellent skills in driving website trafﬁc and audience engagement
through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and
- Ability to shoot and edit video news stories
- Pitch story ideas and create content
- Must be knowledgeable in regard to news judgement, ethics and coverage strategies
- Degree or diploma in journalism, communications, marketing, or similar discipline applicable for a news environment
- Experience with Google Analytics, WordPress, Mail Chimp, Facebook Blueprint and Hootsuite
- A working knowledge of Photoshop, Lightroom, Final Cut Pro and/or Adobe Premier
- May involve some weekend and evening work
- A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are mandatory
We offer competitive salary and benefits packages. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please forward your cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resume to:
Black Press Media
Unit 208 – 15288 54A Ave
Tel: (778) 214-2141
Web address: http://www.Kelownacapnews.com