Location: Shilo, Manitoba
Posted: January 8, 2019
Deadline: February 1, 2019
Salary: $16.05 - $20.24 hr
Competition # SHI-18-36
This Category I unionized position is open to all interested parties. Preference will be granted in accordance with the Collective Agreement for the UFCW bargaining unit for Category I NPF employees at CFB Shilo.
Who We Are:
Our organization is committed to enhancing the morale and welfare of the military community, ultimately contributing to the operational readiness and effectiveness of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). We pride ourselves on being part of the Defense Team. For more information on who we are, please visit us at www.cfmws.com.
Under the supervision of the managing editor, the assistant editor assists in generating and preparing stories as a reporter, covers events on the army training base with both notepad and digital camera, edits digital photos using Photoshop, builds advertisements and does layout for the newspaper and other material for publication using InDesign. He/She ensures stories and photos meet accuracy, quality and CP Style standards. He/She will generate stories involving the infantry (2PPCLI) and artillery (1RCHA), plus other units on the Base located in southern Manitoba. This will include the occasional opportunity being embedded with soldiers as they train during exercises such as FROZEN GUNNER or KAPYONG RAMPART.
- College diploma or certificate in Journalism, Communications, or related field AND some years experience OR high school and several years experience in journalism, communications or related field
- Language: English mandatory
- In writing news and feature articles following journalism guidelines for Base newspaper
- In creating black and white or full-process colour ads/page designs for newsprint and magazine
- In scanning or editing digital photographs
- In office administration including using Quickbooks to do invoicing
- In using Web design software
- In using software for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases, e-mail and Internet browsing
- In working with social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite or Instagram
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan & Savings plans (TFSA, RRSPs)
- A comprehensive benefit plan including health, dental, vision, group life insurance, sick leave, and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D).
- Educational Assistance
- Accessible facilities on Base (i.e. fitness facility, swimming pool, bowling, free movies at theatre, etc)
- CANEX Privileges
- Salary $16.05/hr - $20.24/hr
Security: Enhanced Reliability
NPF employees must demonstrate the following shared competencies: client service, organizational knowledge, communication, innovation, teamwork and leadership. NPF is committed to employment equity. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from all of the designated group members. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the NPF Human Resources Manager.
- Start Date: March 1, 2019
Application Deadline: 23:59 hrs Pacific time February 1, 2019
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, to:
NPF HR Office
Tel: (204) 721-4259
Web address: http://www.cafconnection.ca/Shilo/Home.aspx