MaRS Discovery District
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: December 17, 2018
Deadline: January 20, 2019
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the health, cleantech and ICT sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact.
This is a full-time position.
The Video Producer creates original content to share across MaRS’ growing number of digital platforms, with particular emphasis on video and photo production for YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram. As such, you have facility with the digital toolkit, including video (developing storyboards and scripts, shooting and interviewing), audio (recording and editing) and photography (shooting and editing with Photoshop).
You will work closely with other members of the Marketing and Communications team, in particular the Video Editor, as well as the Director, Content Marketing and Communications, the Social Media Manager and members of the PR team to conceive of and develop ideas for video series that are timely and targeted at digital channels, engage MaRS audiences, build the MaRS brand, address MaRS’ core areas of focus, and promote the startup companies that MaRS supports.
Overall, this is an opportunity for you to expand your content creation chops within the context of an online strategy that you will help define. Your ultimate goal will be to further grow, refine and improve MaRS’ online presence and reputation.
Position Responsibilities and Essential Functions
Reporting to the Director, Content Marketing and Communications, the Video Producer is an integral member of the Communications team, producing photo and video content for a variety of MaRS’ social media platforms.
Under the direction of the Director, Content Marketing and Communications, the Video Producer will:
- Create videos that engage MaRS audiences and establish MaRS as the prime source of content related to startups, technology, science, and related topics
- Act as the go-to video producer at MaRS, consulting on the development while overseeing the production of all MaRS-branded videos
- Conceive of and shoot videos that profile MaRS entrepreneurs and experts in engaging ways
- Identify ways to highlight in video MaRS’ client success stories, and also share relevant regional and national news
- Suggest ways of incorporating digital content in marketing campaigns designed to further the reach of MaRS content
- Co-produce / direct the production of video content created by external vendors, and advise external video vendors on the MaRS brand, look and feel, and best practices
- Take photos at MaRS events;
- Take photos of participants in MaRS branded content (blog series, magazines, etc.); MaRS tenant and startup spaces
- Create cutdowns of long-form videos for use on social media
- Suggest ways of using video to respond to timely news events
- Internal Contacts
- All staff and management within MaRS Discovery District, but particularly with the Director, Content Marketing and Communications and members of the Communications team, as well as relevant team members throughout MaRS.
- External Contacts
- Staff and volunteers in partner institutions related to digital communications, marketing, advertising, public relations and promotions
- Volunteer and staff advisors
- MaRS ventures
- Businesses, marketing/advertising companies
- General public
What it's like to work at MaRS
MaRS is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queen’s Park subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, summer golf day, and more
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym memberships
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
- Standard office environment with operating business hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Applications are due by 6:59 PM Eastern Time on the Close Date indicated on the job posting.
- Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
- You have three to five years of experience in digital storytelling and have worked to develop and produce videos that advance the brand of a large, content-driven organization or have directed and produced creative shorts for an editorial team.
- An excellent video director/producer with a keen eye for a good story, you are capable of developing entertaining content for a general audience. You have skills as a video shooter and editor, but you are particularly skilled at interviews, and are able to tease the best stories out of your subjects. Your photography, videography and image-editing skills will also serve you well in this role.
- An added bonus: a keen interest in the Canadian science and technology startup scene, and a desire to help our entrepreneurs shine on a global stage.
- Minimum undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in journalism, communications or English, with a focus on digital media; journalism degree and one year of journalistic experience preferred
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in digital content production is required
- Exceptional interviewing and writing skills
- Exceptional video and photography shooting skills
- Ability to produce and upload videos for social media channels
- Experience creating content for digital platforms
- Ability to work on tight, competing deadlines, under pressure, with high standards of accuracy and quality control
- Familiarity with and interest in social media platforms for communications, including usage, best practices and measurement
- In-depth awareness of new trends in the digital media space; video styles and formats that resonate with audiences
- Exceptional organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects with tight timelines
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn and use software programs and online tools
- Comfortable in a Mac environment
- Familiarity with photo/video/sound capture and editing using tools such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects; experience developing, executing and promoting video campaigns
- Expert-level familiarity with social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, Google+, and more
- High level of familiarity with tools such as WordPress and Photoshop
Please apply through our MaRS Career portal here, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board: http://marsdd.mytribehr.com/careers/view/372