Star Metro Vancouver
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: December 7, 2018
Salary: not stated
We are seeking a Managing Editor for Star Metro Vancouver who shares our ambition to establish thestar.com as the preeminent source of news in Vancouver and British Columbia. In this role, you are continuously weighing editorial content, customer analytics, industry innovations and corporate goals. You will use customer analytics to help direct the work of reporters. You are keenly collaborative and thrive in working with the editorial team on new ideas and projects, planning and strategy, and with other managers outside Editorial on initiatives to drive readership, subscriptions and revenue.
You pair your expertise in journalism with deep local knowledge; you understand and work with sometimes competing needs; and you are innovative in thinking about how best to use scarce resources to sustain a business model that addresses the digital realities of the media world. You are a strong leader who succeeds through constantly learning, adapting and providing a teaching/supportive environment to your staff as they in the midst of learning themselves.
As A Member Of Our HIGH PERFORMANCE Team You Will:
- Lead a newsroom of 10 to 15 journalists in delivering exclusive content that leads to customer subscriptions
- Oversee news coverage that delivers engaging and exclusive news stories and features that are tailored to our target customer segments
- Meet digital subscription targets and related business goals
- Champion and execute Torstar’s content transformation strategy for Vancouver
- Work with reporters to develop and shape their stories so they can be published as across the Torstar network
- Collaborate with editors in Toronto and Hamilton on both daily news and major editorial projects
- Work with the senior editorial leaders, deputy bureau chief and reporters to develop and execute content and customer growth strategies
- Motivate and develop journalists with a focus on coaching and team building
- Actively participate in community events and build/strengthen relationship within the community
Why you will be successful. You have:
- Exemplify the Torstar values of selflessness, focus, agility, and collaboration.
- At least 5 to 10 years of experience working in a leadership role in newsrooms, with a track record of creating and fostering an environment of growth, demonstrating enthusiasm and support colleagues in their work.
- Leadership experience that includes responsibility for recruitment, talent development, and change management
- A go-getter approach, with the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks, while removing obstacles, making decisions, and executing a business plan.
- Superior news judgment; a strong journalistic foundation as a reporter or editor; deep knowledge of the communities that make up the Greater Vancouver Area specifically and British Columbia generally
- Strong editing and writing skills that lead to a conversational daily product that gives customers the sense of a one-to-one relationship with Star Metro Vancouver and thestar.com.
- Mastery of content and customer analytics, able to measure and analyze real-time customer data and apply that analysis to planning and executing both the current day’s program and longer term projects
The company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs. If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the company of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply online - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - through this link