Location: Port Coquitlam, British Columbia
Posted: November 28, 2018
Deadline: December 28, 2018
The Tri-City News and tricitynews.com have an immediate opening for a full-time online reporter to join our team of talented journalists.
We're looking for a digital native who has a passion for telling stories that resonate with the community both on our website and in our social media feeds. The successful candidate is a self-starter who is at ease in a fast-paced environment and comfortable behind both the keyboard and a camera.
On a daily basis, you will be asked to write on a variety of subjects, including news (politics, crime, courts, etc.), business and lifestyle coverage. The successful candidate must be able to track down, verify and report on breaking news, pitch original story ideas and write, edit and publish their articles on a consistent, daily basis. The successful candidate will be able to shoot and edit photos and isn’t afraid to go live on social media. The newest member of our team will also be the newsroom lead on scheduling and posting editorial content to our digital channels.
The Tri-City News is a community newspaper serving the communities of Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore and Belcarra, B.C. that has a vibrant online presence that we are looking to take to the next level in terms of reach, reader engagement and around-the-clock coverage.
The Tri-City News is owned by Glacier Media Group, a dynamic media organization that owns newspapers and other media outlets throughout the Lower Mainland and across Canada.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Degree/diploma in journalism, broadcasting or related field is preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience writing and editing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Superior news judgement as well as language, writing and editing skills
- Photography, video and editing experience are an asset
- Strong social media storytelling skills
- Understanding of journalism ethics, law and copyright
- Able work a variety of shifts, including evenings and weekends when required
- Organized, self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision
Please send your resume, cover letter (stating youf ound this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) and work samples - writing "digital reporter" in the subject line - to:
Richard Dal Monte, editor
1680 Broadway Street, Unit 118
Tel: (604) 525-6397
Web address: http://https://www.tricitynews.com