Ladysmith Chemainus Chronicle (Black Press)
Location: Ladysmith, British Columbia
Posted: November 22, 2018
Deadline: December 30, 2018
This is a prime opportunity to join the largest multimedia reporting force in British Columbia.
Black Press employs 185 journalists in the province, and is rapidly expanding its multi-media platforms in addition to long-standing, profitable print products.
The Ladysmith Chemainus Chronicle editor/reporter works independently in a one-person newsroom, as part of a larger regional news team.
The successful applicant will possess outstanding writing and oral communication skills and a clear understanding of copy-editing, grammar and Canadian Press style. The editor/reporter is responsible for a wide range of writing assignments, photography, video, social media engagement, and page layout.
Flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to meet deadlines in a weekly production environment are vital.
The editor/reporter works closely with the publisher, as well as contributing content to sister publications in the region.
The successful candidate will:
- Possess an excellent understanding of social media, photography, video and print journalism. Broadcast training and experience is a distinct asset, as well as a working knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and iMovie.
- Assist and lead the ongoing development of website optimization and content, driving immediacy and fresh content.
- Produce quality written articles and video reports, as well as opinion writing.
- A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and smartphone are mandatory.
- Ladysmith is a thriving community on south-eastern Vancouver Island, located an hour and a half away from Victoria.
Black Press is Canada’s largest private community news media company with extensive digital and newspaper properties throughout B.C., Alberta, Washington, Ohio, California and Hawaii.
Those wishing to apply for this position can send a resume, clippings and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, to:
Please cc your application to:
Black Press Media
Unit 210 – 15288 54A Ave
Tel: (778) 809-7266