Up Here Publishing
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Posted: November 15, 2018
Up Here Publishing is currently looking for a qualified editor for Up Here magazine. The editor is responsible for the overall editorial management of the publication, including editorial policy and planning, drawing up budgets, hiring staff as needed, assigning work to editorial staff and freelancers, and ensuring the magazine aligns with the expectations of our readers and the needs of our advertisers.
- The editor works closely with the editorial team, the design team and freelancers to:
- Develop an annual editorial plan and per issue plans
- Assign articles and photo shoots in line with the plan
- Ensure deadlines are met
- Write feature articles
- Edit/rewrite submitted articles
- Review final proof of each issue
- Conduct post mortem meetings after each issue is published
- Liaise with advertising and circulation departments
- Some travel to northern locations
Up Here magazine publishes eight issues per year and will be celebrating its 35th anniversary in 2019. The magazine has a subscription base mainly in southern Canada, is sold on newsstands across Canada, is the inflight magazine for Canadian North, and is widely distributed across the three northern territories. Over the years it has won numerous awards, including being named Canada’s Magazine of the Year in 2010 and being judged the top magazine in western Canada four times, most recently in 2014.
Up here Publishing has a small staff of 12 and publishes Up Here magazine, Up Here Business and some contract publications. The company is headquartered in Yellowknife, NT and the position is located in Yellowknife. Up Here offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package.
- Understanding of how magazines work via at least five years’ magazine experience
- Ability to plan issues and stick to plans
- Creative, with a passion for new ideas
- Great writing skills – from feature articles to headlines
- Ability to edit and mold a mediocre article into a great article
- Able to manage editorial staff, freelancers and relationships with other divisions of the company
- Well organized and good administrative skills
We hope to fill this position by early January 2019, in order to ensure some overlap with the existing editor.
If interested, please submit a resume and work samples - along with a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
Marion Lavigne, publisher
Up Here Publishing Ltd