Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: October 4, 2018
Deadline: October 30, 2018
Salary: not stated
iPolitics is a paid subscriber-based digital information source, covering all political and legislative activities at the Federal level. iPolitics offers deep analytical real-time coverage for professionals, business leaders and other government stakeholders who closely follow the business of government at all levels. Our subscribers expect to get the latest news developments first and the political nuances ahead of the pack.
Our team of Ottawa-based journalists are subject “experts” in their coverage beats focused on explaining complex policy issues throughout the legislative process. Thoughtful analysis; concise writing and a passion for explaining the inner workings of government – both the people and the policies – drives us.
Seeking an aggressive editor with a superior grasp of political news and government policy who can lead our newsroom.
- Senior editor responsible for directing all aspects of iPolitics’ content operations including development of daily coverage priorities and longer-range strategic plans
- Assign reporters & freelancers to develop multi-platform content including social media channels.
- Daily responsibilities that would include editing (substantive and line), web posting, content coverage planning daily and longer term.
- Work closely with the iPolitics publisher and B2B team on coverage alignment & strategy
- Supervision and coordination of editorial staff including scheduling
- Manage editorial budgets and spending
- Engage with public stakeholders to ensure we understand the changing needs of readers
- Attend relevant industry events representing iPolitics for networking purposes
- Build strong relationships with decision makers and private sector stakeholders
- Minimum 6 years experience at a Canadian news organization
- Minimum 3 years experience managing a team of journalists
- Journalism post-secondary degree or equivalent
- Superior leadership and communication skills
- Ability to drive coverage beyond the regular headlines
- Thrives in a deadline-driven, digital, team environment
- Superior skill in juggling multiple tasks for different platforms
- Strong understanding of the Canadian political landscape
- Experience with tracking tools analyzing real-time traffic and trends
- Solid editing and SEO-ready headlines
- High comfort level with Canadian Press style/libel and defamation laws
- Excellent time management skills
- Team oriented and top-notch communication skills
- Fluency or functionality in French an asset
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply in writing here
on or before October 30, 2018.
Please state in your application that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.