The Anglican Church of Canada
|Editor (interim, 1 year contract)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: September 13, 2018
Deadline: September 24, 2018
Salary: $72 624
The Editor, Interim helps tell the story of the Anglican Church of Canada primarily through the Anglican Journal in print and online media. The editor leads a team responsible for developing, managing and executing content that is current, relevant and integrated on a variety of platforms. The position reports to the Director, Communications.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Developing and implementing an editorial plan that aligns with the strategic objectives of the Anglican Church of Canada, encourages its ministry and reflects the diversity of voices within the church.
- Motivating, developing and managing a staff of three people including an Assistant to the Editor and two Staff Writers. Ensure application of professional journalistic standards, practices and codes of conduct.
- Planning/assigning/writing copy, editing the paper, and overseeing/evolving online content and user experience.
- Work with departments to achieve high-quality content and platforms as well as meeting financial and circulation targets.
- Lead advertisements and advertising supplements in consultation with business manager and director.
- Developing and maintaining contacts/relationships to ensure content direction remains relevant.
- Lead and participate in departmental projects.
- Participate on relevant committees such as the Anglican Journal Coordinating Committee.
- Perform related duties as required.
This position works from the General Synod office located in Toronto, Ontario under normal office working conditions. Other working conditions may include; working with visual detail, working to deadline, occasional work outside or beyond normal business hours and overnight travel about once a month.
- Relevant degree
- Progressive experience in newspapers or magazines including at least 3 years in editorial and / or supervisory roles.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education sufficient to perform the essential job functions and provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
- Proficiency with PC platforms, Microsoft Office, WordPress, InCopy, Photoshop
- Experience and understanding of within a faith, not-for-profit, fundraising or social issue context preferred.
- Criminal reference check required as part of hiring process.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume and three samples of their work with a brief outline of their involvement with the items.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Anglican Church of Canada is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please direct the request to the email address as noted:
Please quote the job number Editor Interim and send with a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
The Anglican Church of Canada
Web address: http://www.anglican.ca