Native Communications Society of the NWT
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Posted: September 7, 2018
The Native Communications Society of the NWT (NCS) boasts a team of creative, passionate, enthusiastic, energetic and talented individuals constantly searching for challenges and perfection. NCS is the Northwest Territory’s premier Aboriginal Broadcaster with coverage to the entire territory and beyond, an area in excess of one million square kilometers. Our Radio Division, CKLB, delivers News, Current Affairs and diverse regional and cultural perspectives daily into the lives of NWT Residents, in five Aboriginal languages, and English.
NCS is currently seeking a qualified News Reporter / Host to work full-time in a fast-paced creative cross cultural environment out of our production facilities in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
If you have a nose for news, here’s your chance to get your foot in the door!
- Work in partnership with other news staff
- Strong, confident and natural delivery on air
- Occasionally fill in on-air as required
- Bring story ideas to the table on a daily basis
- Conduct telephone/in-person interviews and research stories
- Report, write, edit and contribute high quality news stories
- Read live newscasts and record casts for other programs
- Pro-active in developing and following up on stories in the Territory
- Cover live news events, filing voice reports by phone or email, as required
- Maintain focus on target audience when covering stories
- Available for emergency coverage at all times
- Responsible for uploading news stories to our website on a daily basis
- Develop and maintain relationships with all potential newsmakers
- Keep files up to date
- Displays professionalism and courtesy at all times
- Ability to write news stories in a clear, concise and creative manner
- Motivated and willing to work as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills
- Able to work in a fast paced environment under pressure
- Excellent communication and interview skills as they apply to radio
- Experience with Newsroom software programs an asset
- Able to follow direction
- Detail-oriented and a self-starter
- Outgoing personality, willing to speak to people in the community
- Degree/Diploma in journalism or creative writing preferred.
NCS offers an attractive benefits package, and the salary for this position is competitive with Broadcast Industry standards. Only those candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), resume, two samples of writing and an on air demo (maximum of 1 minute) to:
Native Communications Society of the NWT/CKLB Radio
4901 48 Street
Web address: http://www.cklbradio.com