MaRS Discovery District
|Media Relations Manager
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: June 5, 2018
Deadline: June 19, 2018
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact.
About MaRS Communications
Housed within the world’s largest urban innovation hub, the MaRS communications team plays a key role in spotlighting the growth of Canada’s innovation economy. We’re a nimble team of communications professionals, journalists and digital experts with proven success in building venture profile through earned media, developing thought leadership that spans the innovation ecosystem and producing a range of content types from magazines to video.
About your role
As part of the MaRS Marketing and Communications team, the Media Relations Manager Venture Services, is responsible for promoting a portfolio of MaRS venture clients -- advising them on their public relations and communications initiatives, while supporting the co-creation of branded content that will be distributed internationally as well as on various MaRS’ platforms.
MaRS is uniquely positioned to help Canadian ventures compete against the backdrop . Plugged into Canada’s largest network of tech entrepreneurs, you won’t just respond to the industry trends in the press, you’ll help define them. MaRS develops innovative media partnerships to spotlight our ventures, leading new creative strategies that enable us to.
Through successful media campaigns, you’ll help startup founders go from under-the-radar to recognized industry experts. You’ll help tell stories about the Canadian innovation community, spotlighting life-changing technologies and inspiring entrepreneurs.
- Develop and oversee PR campaigns for a core portfolio of select MaRS ventures, driving the best possible press outcomes with a focus on securing feature stories in key target outlets and identifying opportunities for contributed thought leadership pieces;
- Develop story ideas related to trends in the innovation economy and each of MaRS’ four key sector areas (health, enterprise, finance, and cleantech);
- Build and maintain relationships with members of the press;
- Collaborate with US-based PR agency to expand the MaRS ecosystem reach internationally;
- Conduct proactive outreach to secure strategic media coverage and interview opportunities for key MaRS’ ventures
- Provide general PR advice and guidance to select portfolio ventures through group workshops, office hours, and peer groups
- Offer media coaching to key client spokespeople and prepare media briefs
- Collaborate closely with various members of the communication team including the Manager of Media Relations, Corporate to ensure consistent messaging on all channels and to identify opportunities to maximize content reach
- Support MaRS-owned productions including the MaRS Magazine and several key video series by highlighting key stories, themes, ventures, and sources in the MaRS community.
- Prepare and distribute press releases;
- Organize media events (e.g. open days, press conferences, media dinners);
- Address inquiries from the media and other parties
- Create communications plans;
- Track media coverage and follow industry trends;
- Prepare and submit PR reports.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queen’s Park subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, summer golf day, and more
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym memberships
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on BMeaningful.
General office environment with operating hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applications are due by 6:59 PM Eastern Time on the Close Date indicated at the top of this job posting.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
- The ideal candidate will have:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field – journalism, public relations or communications preferred’
- Minimum 4-5 years working in public relations - agency experience and tech industry experience preferred;
- A creative and strategic approach to solving problems and overcoming challenges;
- Demonstrated results in leading ongoing media relations campaigns including proven ability to secure media coverage broadly in mainstream Canadian and/or US-based press;
- Established media contacts in Canadian and/or US-based press’
- A strong understanding of the news cycle and the story elements required to successfully secure coverage;
- A digital-first approach including a familiarity with all social media platforms and SEO best practices;
- Proactive and collaborative team player who is able to manage shifting priorities;
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentation;
- Self-motivated – able to work independently with minimal supervision but also collaboratively with other MaRS staff, partners, and clients;
- Easily adapt to new/additional responsibilities and learn new job-related skills.
Please apply through our MaRS Career Portal
and state in your application that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.