|Copy Chief/Special Reports Editor
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: March 10, 2018
Deadline: March 24, 2018
Realscreen, an international trade publication focusing on the business of non-fiction and unscripted entertainment, is looking for a copy chief/special reports editor for its quarterly magazine.
Your role as copy chief/special reports editor is to work with the editor and content director to produce the magazine, and to develop and execute long-term content projects. You will take on special report duties and magazine features, as well as assisting in issue planning and copy flow responsibilities. You will play a role in shaping the direction of the Realscreen brand, and will assist the editor and content director by sharing in the story development and editing duties. You will also contribute some online features and series, and assist in copy editing daily news when required.
As a writer and special reports editor, your role is to find stories that identify non-fiction industry-related news, market and regulatory change, topical research and analysis, key issues and trends, innovative thinking and key challenges. Realscreen stories should break news, supply deeper context, be impactful and achieve “Must Read” status.
You will contribute to ensuring Realscreen builds on its position of authority in the industry, and ensure stories attain “Pass-it-On” status. Infiltrate the industry: develop diverse contacts, get wind of what’s ahead and come up with killer story ideas. Realscreen always strives to beat the competition and be more interesting and relevant. An initial focus is building contacts and your knowledge of the sector, as you will be responsible for turning up content ideas and approaches to reports.
Responsibilities and Performance Expectations
You will be responsible for:
• Working with the editor and content director, writers and others within the company to achieve optimal content, copy quality and final product.
• Managing and editing a portion of the content and editorial production on Realscreen, to include Upfront, special reports.
• Personally contributing articles to Realscreen, some cover stories, special report features and Upfront stories; and contributing to achieving the desired copy flow by meeting deadlines.
• Personally contributing enterprise series for the Realscreen Daily and assisting in the copy editing of online news as required.
Copy Chief Duties
• Manage the page editing flow on the magazine; keep track of production progress.
• Copy edit stories for length, style, content and fact/logic; ensure a high degree of accuracy, a balanced and diverse range of sources, and that the Realscreen angle is clearly conveyed.
• Input copy changes using InCopy, ensuring all changes are accurate and copy is clean.
• Upload magazine content to the website using Wordpress.
Special Reports Duties
• Research, write (or assign), edit, coordinate and manage editorial flow on special reports, and contribute to issue execution as required.
• Develop and carry out long-range time management plans in order to ensure the special reports are executed in time to meet deadlines.
• Co-ordinate special report art elements with art director.
• Conduct ongoing research to identify topical special reports, and specific background research to formulate the most compelling and informative focus.
• In consultation with the editor and content director, create a fresh and innovative approach for each report, and prepare a line-up.
University degree in Journalism or Communications
Experience managing in-house and freelance editorial resources effectively
Outstanding editorial standards and judgment
An eye for detail and copy consistency
Strong aptitude for display writing and art direction
Highly developed organizational and time management skills
Proficiency with PC platforms, Microsoft Office, WordPress, InCopy, Photoshop
Inside knowledge of the international non-fiction film and television industry would be an asset
To apply, please send ALL of the following to Realscreen editor and content director Barry Walsh, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
• your resumé and cover letter, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board;
• three professional writing samples with your byline;
• three feature story ideas that would be relevant for Realscreen readers; and
• your salary expectations.
Realscreen/ Brunico Communications
366 Adelaide St. W., Suite 100
Web address: http://www.realscreen.com