Centre for International Governance Innovation
|Social Media Engagement Specialist
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posted: August 9, 2017
Deadline: September 5, 2017
The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) is a global think tank based in Waterloo, Ontario. Founded in 2001, CIGI conducts policy research on international governance issues, including the global economy, global security and politics, and international law.
A dynamic and innovative organization of leading researchers, policy practitioners and other professionals, CIGI has an opening for a Social Media Engagement Specialist.
The Social Media Engagement Specialist is a full-time position responsible for the day-to-day content development of CIGI's social media channels in close collaboration with other members of the Communications team as well as Digital Media, Publications and research program staff. In addition to creating and posting social media content in a variety of formats, the position actively engages stakeholders in two-way conversations online as part of CIGI’s overall outreach strategies.
The ideal candidate should be passionate about social media and eager to showcase strong engagement and relationship building skills through informing, sharing and listening. The candidate must possess excellent writing and digital media skills, strong attention to detail, strategic thinking and possess an eye for real-time trends that can help amplify CIGI’s work.
- Continue to develop and implement CIGI’s overall social media and online engagement strategy to promote its social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Create, curate and coordinate all content (photos, videos and text) for posting to social media, including live events and announcements
- Build relationships with CIGI audiences – academia, government, elected officials, news media and institutional leaders – through conversation and active listening
- Identify and engage social influencers in CIGI’s programmatic areas and identify trending topics in real time to connect CIGI experts where relevant
- Develop and put into practice social media engagement techniques (Q&As with experts, surveys)
- Gather and analyze metrics; provide reporting and recommendations for social media activities
- Propose and implement online promotional efforts including purchase of advertising
- Develop induction materials for CIGI experts and staff
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of social media publishing and listening tools
- Understanding of online marketing and major marketing channels
- Familiar with live broadcasting (like Periscope, Facebook Live, etc.) and capturing live content including interviews
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Critical thinking, sound judgment and ability to identify trends and take quick action to position CIGI on areas of programmatic interest
- Ability to collaborate and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including staff, fellows, and partner organizations
- Good multitasking and organizational ability
- Fluency in English with a second language considered an asset
Minimum Job Requirements
- University degree or college diploma, preferably in communications, marketing, new media or public relations, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in social media activities as a regular contributor (must provide social writing samples)
- Prior experience with social monitoring tools/dashboards
- Candidate must be based full-time in Waterloo, Ontario and have the ability to travel and work nights or weekends as required by CIGI activities
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter and resume along with salary expectations - with a cover note stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to email@example.com by Tuesday, September 5.
We appreciate all candidates’ applications but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CIGI is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment. Our goal is to attract and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We are committed to providing accommodation to applicants throughout the recruitment and hiring process.
67 Erb Street West
Web address: http://www.cigionline.org