|TV Reporter - Punjabi
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: August 3, 2017
Deadline: September 3, 2017
Every day, we strive to build a brilliant digital future for Canadians. We work as one team, with one goal – serve our customers better.
Are you in tune with what's important to the Punjabi community in Canada? Can you get the clips you need to report on relevant and engaging stories? Is communicating on social media second nature to you? If so, you might be the right person for us.
We are launching national newscasts on OMNI Television across Canada, to deliver compelling multilingual relevant content to Canadians. As an experienced news professional, you know what content our viewers want and how to deliver compelling stories. As a proven innovator, you know how to emphasize creativity over tradition.
OMNI is looking for a Reporter (Punjabi) who is a passionate and reliable self-starter. You can work independently, but also as part of a diverse newsroom. You will be responsible for working on stories both in the studio, and out in the field for multiple media platforms.
- Pitch, chase, write, research and present stories on-air for the national and local newscasts with an emphasis on content for the South Asian community
- Staying up-to-date on current events and issues important to the South Asian community
- Use social media as a promotional platform to drive viewers to watch our news programs as well as a story-telling tool to engage our audience
- Update the segments during the newscasts, if necessary, and produce separate version for use for local current affairs show
- Attend daily content and programming meetings as well as contribute to creative brainstorms on new content including branded content development
- Develop and maintain news contacts for interviews
- Write compelling, accurate news copy for all platforms, including story leads, segment leads, bumpers and promos
- Monitor all news sources and be on top of breaking news and developing situations
- Assist in breaking news coverage - including helping coordinate live coverage, setting up interviews for broadcast, and sourcing pictures and video for all platforms
- Research and arrange interviews for news stories and shows when required
- Back-fill for Anchor shifts as needed, and work multiple shifts including evenings and weekends.
- Must be fluent in Punjabi, both reading and writing
- Minimum of 1-2 years broadcast experience in news
- Strong on-air presentation skills, with an emphasis on live remote abilities and unscripted material
- Familiarity with the culture, needs, and sensibilities of the South Asian community
- Experience writing, editing, and conducting in-person interviews
- Ability to react quickly, multi-task, handle situations, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong news judgment, good writing skills, knowledge of current events, and excellent communication and people skills
- Self-starter, energetic, creative, detail-oriented, and a problem solver
- Ability to make sense of complex news stories and the talent to write them in a fair, clear, concise, and lively manner
- Must be able to take direction well and willing to adapt to rapidly changing technology and new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation
- Possess a solid network of contacts within the Indo-Canadian community
- Active social media presence with a demonstrated ability to produce engaging content for social media users, including on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Experience with Quantel Technology an asset
- Control room and field production experience an asset
- A broadcast journalism diploma or equivalent experience
At Rogers, success is determined by the strength and diversity of our people. We work together because we want to win together, and these five shared values guide how we work:
1.Simplify and innovate
2.Take ownership of the what and the how
3.Equip people to succeed
4.Execute with discipline and pride
5.Talk straight, build trust, and over deliver
As you consider what’s next, remember that we work as one team, with one goal – to serve our customers better.
We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential. At Rogers, we value the insights and innovation that diverse teams bring to work. We work with our candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to begin a conversation about how we can ensure that you deliver your best work. You can also reach out to our team at RogersRecruiting@rci.rogers.com to begin a conversation about your individual accessibility needs throughout the hiring process.