Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: July 31, 2017
Come Work With Us
Daily Xtra’s editorial department is seeking a full-time Associate Editor to join our team in the Toronto office.
The Associate Editor will help capture our vibrant LGBT communities through assigning, editing, creating and successful sharing of original, relevant content. Working closely with our staff reporters and freelancers, you will strengthen relationships between our journalism and our audiences, growing our engagement and furthering the mission of Pink Triangle Press.
Founded in 1971 to advance the struggle for sexual liberation, Pink Triangle Press is Canada’s leading LGBT media organization. We publish DailyXtra.com, DailyXtraTravel.com, and we run the gay adult dating website Squirt.org .
We believe in flexibility, and the celebration of individuality here at PTP - and we think our organizational culture reflects that! We have a casual dress code, a friendly social atmosphere, and where the position permits we have flexible hours. We believe in being good at what we do, and working hard – but that fun can be had along the way. We have an attractive compensation package including 100% company-paid benefits, an Employee and Family Assistance Program, and a matched pension plan.
You will have additional proven skills and experience including, but not limited to the following:
- Journalism skills: strong editorial news judgment and knowledge of ethics, practices and standards; understanding of copyright, defamation and obscenity laws; research and investigative journalism skills
- Editing and writing skills: substantive and structural editing; accuracy and fact-checking; grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax; adherence to style; familiarity with Canadian Press style
- You avidly consume and understand online news media and what works in the new age of digital journalism
- A strong sense of what makes a story compelling and what inspires people to share stories
- Native Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Tumblr, Snapchat and/or Reddit user; proven social presence on multiple platforms
- Online journalism skills: text, video, visual and audio stories; podcasts, slideshows and graphics; varied forms of visual storytelling; creative packaging
- Editorial training skills: able to train, coach and manage writers and to help them achieve excellence in content production
- Social media content generation: infographics, animated gifs, video, surveys, quizzes, memes; content appropriate to medium
- Social media skills: content promotion; execute audience- and traffic-building and reader engagement tactics, as required
- Intermediate photography, camera and digital imaging skills; composition, exposure, lighting; photo editing
- Web publishing skills: editorial CMS foundations and web technologies; live blogging; familiarity with HTML
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills: excellent written and oral; diplomacy, ability to constructively steer even controversial conversations and de-escalate where necessary, and deter trolls
- Organization, planning and time management skills: well organized, flexible, quick; multitask and juggle multiple, deadline-driven tasks; attention to detail; effective and efficient participation in meetings
- Knowledge of LGBT communities, sexual politics and cultures
- Skilled at a collaborative work process; maintain a positive and inspiring attitude and a sense of humour in a fast-paced, deadline-driven workplace
If this job sounds like it’s for you, please submit a resumé and cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin’s Job Board to Managing Editor, Matthew DiMera at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the volume of submissions, only applicants selected for the next step in our recruitment process will be contacted. No phone calls please.
You do not need to be a part of the LGBT community in order to work here – allies are absolutely welcome to apply.
PTP is committed to Employment Equity, and to providing a fair and equitable work environment. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal people, those living with disabilities, and people who are visible minorities. We are a trans-inclusive organization.
PTP is committed to ensuring accessible services and communications to individuals with disabilities. Once an applicant has been selected for an interview, requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants should make their accommodation needs known when contacted.
Matthew DiMera, managing editor
Pink Triangle Press
Web address: http://www.dailyxtra.com