|National Managing Editor (nights)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: July 25, 2017
Salary: not stated
Metro National Managing Editor: Nights, Canada, World, Business and Sports
Metro has an opening for National Managing Editor: Nights, Canada, World, Business and Sports. This is a senior and crucial management role for the Metro News chain, reporting directly to the editor in chief and Vice-President of Metro.
The night operation of editors and production staff report to this role, as do the sports, Canada and world editors, and the market managing editors have a dotted line responsibility to it. As well, the job is one of a small handful of senior managers at Metro, who work together to set our direction and path forward in matters both strategic and practical.
- Manage editorial production staff in Toronto with aims including meeting seven deadlines per night, covering breaking news, and maintaining the quality of the newspaper.
- Mentor staff in the creation of compelling and accurate pages.
- Oversee all front pages, working with production staff to ensure best practice.
- Sign off on finished pages, with a focus on quality.
- Take part in front-page meetings, discussing options for the best content.
- Contribute to editorial initiatives, particularly leading the discussion on content choice for key pages, including front pages.
- Work with newsroom leaders in ensuring the best mix of content in all sections, and directly oversee sports, national news, international news and business reporting.
- Monitor news wires and react quickly to breaking news.
- Work collaboratively with the Toronto Star and other Torstar outlets.
- The successful candidate will have detailed knowledge of CP style and libel law
- The successful candidate will have detailed knowledge of content management systems and software for page layout and photo editing.
The job requires an experienced and solid news editor background and skill set, with a deep understanding of world and Canadian news. As important, the person in this role needs a steady and deft hand at running an efficient production operation. The nightly work of producing seven editions in six time zones, on time and up to our high news standard, is demanding and exciting.
Interested applicants should have 5 to 10 years’ experience in similar roles in a daily news environment. The position starts this summer.
Interested candidates should apply online - stating you found this job on Gaulin Media - here