|Field Reporter (1-year contract)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: June 10, 2017
Deadline: July 10, 2017
Salary: $50,239 - $83,997
Division: Current Affairs and Documentaries
Reports To: Executive Producer, The Agenda with Steve Paikin
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (on the Yonge subway line)
As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
The Agenda with Steve Paikin is TVO’s flagship public affairs program. We are devoted to the issues that are changing our world, at home and abroad. We believe that fostering a clearer understanding of these social, political, cultural and economic forces through first-rate and engaging information, analysis, discussion, and debate, is essential for participation in a democratic society.
Now in its eleventh season, “The Agenda with Steve Paikin” wants to build on its success. To help achieve this goal, we are looking for an experienced, creative individual with a proven track record in current affairs journalism and leadership roles.
Excellent on-air presentation, oral and written communication and interpersonal skills are a must. The desired candidate has a reputation for clarity, building solid relationships, and working successfully with others. You are an experienced public affairs journalist and reporter with a proven track record demonstrating strong editorial judgment.
The Field Reporter creates weekly on-air and online field reports and content as a member of The Agenda with Steve Paikin, and helps ensure the quality, accuracy and consistency of tone of the Department’s work, within editorial and brand guidelines and to the highest standards of journalistic and technical excellence.
The ideal candidate will bring finely honed editorial judgment, top-notch presentation and on-air reporting skills, and have experience working in a team in a fast-paced current affairs environment.
Under the overall responsibility of the Executive Producer, the Field Reporter will work cooperatively with an editorial team, offering ideas and suggestions to enhance news coverage across all platforms. The successful candidate is a creative, strong critical thinker who can tell compelling stories on multiple platforms: television and online. The successful candidate will be expected to produce original journalism for both broadcast and digital platforms. You must demonstrate and maintain exceptional skill in writing about Ontario issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Report and produce on and/or off air, provide narration and perform hosted items
- Demonstrate exceptional interviewing and story-telling skills
- Propose ideas, suggest and line up guests, prepare background notes, scripting and questions
- Direct interviews in the studio or in the field
- Interact with guests, panelists and members of public/audience as required on-site
- Monitor social media in real time to generate content and engage audiences
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the diverse communities in Ontario
- Demonstrate sound news judgment and the ability to work under deadlines
- Participate in public and/or community relation activities to promote the program and Current Affairs and Documentaries
- Ensure the proper and accurate clearance of all material used in content, in collaboration with copyright clearance officers or others
- Other tasks as required:
- Perform duties of all lower classifications
- University or college graduate, preferably in journalism or broadcast production
- 3+ years’ work experience in daily on-air reporting
- A multiplatform producer: proven ability to produce content of consistently high quality that is platform-agnostic
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills a must
- Excellent organizational skills, including demonstrated ability to establish priorities and focus resources to achieve desired outcomes
- Strong initiative and ability to work collaboratively and effectively both remotely and in a team environment
- Superior time management, interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Demonstrate flexibility with work assignments, work quickly, efficiently, and work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Must have driver’s licence. Travel within the province required
- Video and audio recording skills are an asset
For additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please include additional documentation or a link to your online demo or website, blog or video in your cover letter. Please also state you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
Web address: http://www.tvo.org