Edmonton Journal, Edmonton Sun
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posted: May 17, 2017
Deadline: June 2, 2017
Multimedia Journalist, Edmonton, Alberta
Full Time, Permanent
Competition Number EJ-17-008
The Edmonton Journal-Edmonton Sun newsroom has an immediate opening for an experienced reporter who will help drive coverage of issues and events in Alberta’s capital and northern Alberta. Superior reporting and writing skills are required, as well as the ability to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced multimedia news environment.
Working in the Edmonton newsroom, the successful candidate will have an interest in politics and be expected to break news and lead in enterprise journalism. Applicants are expected to have excellent news judgment, demonstrable strengths in accurate, clean reporting, and a proven ability to dig out, initiate and develop news stories and features.
Candidates must be familiar with emerging digital trends and opportunities, be able to shoot video and audio, and know how to leverage social media and digital platforms to break news and reach audiences. They must be comfortable with filing stories for multiple platforms on tight deadlines, and be keen to learn and experiment to find new ways to tell stories and engage readers.
Role and responsibilities
- Reporting and writing news stories for print, Web and mobile audiences – as well as tailoring content to meet the varying needs of those platforms.
- Initiating and developing ideas for enterprise stories and investigative projects.
- Cultivating sources and establishing expertise in order to break news and set the news agenda.
- Filing audio and video clips for digital platforms; working with digital teams to create interactive maps and graphics, searchable databases, and other multimedia elements.
- Experience at a daily news organization in a deadline-oriented reporting/writing role.
- Fluency in digital platforms, multimedia journalism and social media.
- Ability to work quickly and independently, meet multiple deadlines, and make efficient decisions.
- Ability to work constructively as part of a newsroom team.
Closing Date: June 2, 2017
If you are interested in becoming part of an energetic team who take pride in the products they publish; please forward your resume, cover letter plus writing and photography samples in one PDF format file to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include competition number EJ-17-008.
Postmedia Network Inc.
Web address: http://www.postmedia.com