Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Posted: May 17, 2017
Castanet Media is seeking an experienced journalist to fill the role of News Director at our Kelowna, B.C., headquarters.
The chosen candidate will combine a proven track record in a fast-paced environment of breaking news, show strong leadership ability with a solid knowledge of new media.
You will work directly with the reporting staff, leading a team of four reporters in Kelowna, plus co-ordinating with our news staff in Vernon and Penticton, under the direction of the Director of Content.
The News Director is responsible for the day to day, hands-on operation of the news department. This includes prioritizing breaking news, writing engaging headlines, managing the headline stack, editing local copy and wire copy and posting to the site, making sure we are up to date on all facets of the news, monitoring email, partner sites and competition. Ensuring the quality of all content and that the best and most current photos greet visitors to the site. The News Director is also responsible for after-hours co-ordination of coverage and posting to the site as necessary.
It is not a job for the faint of heart. You will eat, breathe and sleep news. The ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment is a must. The News Director will be able to keep a cool head in emergency, developing situations, co-ordinating coverage and ensuring timely posting to the site.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Copy edit staff-written stories for tight, compelling reading
- Craft tight, compelling headlines
- Post stories via Castanet SMS and headline manager
- Contribute content ideas and angles to daily story meetings, led by you
- Develop a network of local contacts and sources
- Make sure every story has the best image, video or graphic possible
- Curate CP wire content for best stories to share on site
- Supervise the newsroom
- Co-ordinate with Vernon and Penticton offices
- Take a lead role in Castanet’s social media strategy and presence
- Supervise video content and co-ordinate live streaming video from the newsroom
- Continually raise the bar on quality
- Ensure use of CP style throughout our news content
- Journalism degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Minimum five years career experience
- Be able to work in both print and video settings (training provided as needed)
- Be computer and social media savvy
- Able to recognize a good story and develop it into compelling content
- Impeccable knowledge of Canadian Press style, excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation
Please submit a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Job Board, resume and relevant clippings/portfolio to Director of Content, Jon Manchester at email@example.com
Only candidates considered for the position will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Castanet Media Ltd.
202 - 346 Lawrence Avenue
, British Columbia
Web address: http://www.castanet.net